Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, search did not help :Torque Bind 1992 4EAT

OK, I found a lot of descriptions of the problem, what causes it, and some things to check. BTDT.

92 Legacy 130K miles 4EAT with Torque Bind. Had changed the fluid, and that helped for a bit. Now it is back. Dealer tested the Duty C (resistance test) and found it bad. I swapped it out for him. I also checked the AWD transfer clutch, which moved freely out of the car. He is still getting the 16 flashes on the Power Light, along with Torque Bind. FWD fuse has not been tested since the Duty C was replaced.

I suspect: Bad wiring to the Duty C or a bad TCU.

I would like to pull the code from the power light, but I cannot find the procedure anywhere. Li'll help folks?

Was it a new duty C that was installed? Wiring is fairly easy to check with a meter. I dont know how get the codes from this model,ill look later.

What happens when the fuse is in. Also any time you get TB you need to try the fuse first, as every mile you drive with TB your shortening the life of your clutchpack.

nipper

Was it a new duty C that was installed? Wiring is fairly easy to check with a meter. I dont know how get the codes from this model,ill look later.

What happens when the fuse is in. Also any time you get TB you need to try the fuse first, as every mile you drive with TB your shortening the life of your clutchpack.

nipper

Nipper, I have been reading all the posts on TB and I know you are a proponent of trying easiest cheapest solutions first. I posted chattering on turns in my 99 manual forester a while ago (last July I think) and mentioned about doing the reverse figure 8's in a big parking lot (about 10-15 of them) and the chattering did stop. I then had the diff oil changed and the chattering on tight turns has not returned.

I think this might be something to add to first steps if you suspect TB.

Can't hurt to try and it dosen't cost anything.

OK, what we are getting is not shuddering, but binding on sharp turns. He had tried the fuse on the old solenoid, but not the new one yet. He will be trying that today to see if it fixes the problem. Still it is not a long term solution, and we have the 16 flashing lights telling us that the TCU is finding a problem somewhere. I need to know how to get the TCU to tell us where. I have had the tailhousing off, and everything in there was fine. There was no play in the clutchpack when installed. I installed the new Duty C, and that seems to have made things better. Not all the way better though. I am at this point suspecting the wiring harness to the transmission, or the TCU. Both of these are expensive options, and we need to get this in one shot. this is why I need to get those codes. I need to be able to support my decision on what to change out.

OK, what we are getting is not shuddering, but binding on sharp turns. He had tried the fuse on the old solenoid, but not the new one yet. He will be trying that today to see if it fixes the problem. Still it is not a long term solution, and we have the 16 flashing lights telling us that the TCU is finding a problem somewhere. I need to know how to get the TCU to tell us where. I have had the tailhousing off, and everything in there was fine. There was no play in the clutchpack when installed. I installed the new Duty C, and that seems to have made things better. Not all the way better though. I am at this point suspecting the wiring harness to the transmission, or the TCU. Both of these are expensive options, and we need to get this in one shot. this is why I need to get those codes. I need to be able to support my decision on what to change out.

Well I am hoping that the fuse works to try and save the AWD clutches from chewing themselves up.

The tailhousing looked fine then, only god knows what it looks like now. You also need to take the clutch pck apart to see what condition it is in. I dont know what you mean by freeplay in the clutchpack. Freeplay there would cause the AWD to not work at all. In fact with the car off the output shaft to the rear wheels should spin.

This is an old clutch pack and it cant take alot of abuse after 14 years.

I am not convinced its a TCU issue at this point. The harness just check the connections. TCU can be gotten from scrap yards, as they are fairly robust.

Also thee TCU is smart, it can tell when the valve is stuck open, stuck closed, has an open or a short.

There is also another component in the AWD system, a spool valve in the AWD housing that can be bad.

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/4EATPh1Win04.pdf

see if that will help.

nipper

I am a newby on the TB issue but something I just learned about with my '90 Legacy is that the drivetrain is sensetive to tire type and size. Some of my TB issues were caused by having different brands of tires with different amounts of wear on the front and rear of the car. I don't know if this info helps. Good luck.

Josh's page has the procedure on how to read the TCU codes:

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/trans.html

Now that was the info I was looking for! Thanks rottenhead! Nipper, I already have that article. Now that I have the procedure for pulling the codes from the TCU, I can start to narrow down the problem. Thanks all for the help!