Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ignition coil for a 1997 legacy outback

i need a ignition coil of my 97 leagacy ob, is it better to get a used part from a junk yard or need from dedaler? and the wire i hear that the wire in the pack/box are not as good as the ones you can get individually. does anyone have any advice?

The ignition coil I purchased from an aftermarket auto parts store has the same manufacturer and part number as the original that was on the car, and seems to be working fine.

I had problems with aftermarket spark plug wires and spark plugs - use Subaru OEM wires from the dealer (also some online sources, search these fora) and NGK spark plugs.

Good luck.

I beg to differ, I am using NAPPA plugs and wires, after a year and a half I have had 0 troubles. Big push for OEM on USMB. To burn you guys up more, I will be installing a 14 dollar after market O2 Sensor in a few weeks
I've been using Autozone ones asn I haven't had any issues (Bosch 4+ plugs and AZ wires). I simply can't justify the cost of OEM - when OEM is 2 or 3 times what it would cost if I just went generic.

Not all aftermarket parts are bad, and some that aren't labeled so on the box turn out to be OEM. Still, experience with certain parts seems to show better "luck" with originals.

It comes down to "ya pays yer money an' ya takes yer chances". :)

I beg to differ, I am using NAPPA plugs and wires, after a year and a half I have had 0 troubles. Big push for OEM on USMB. To burn you guys up more, I will be installing a 14 dollar after market O2 Sensor in a few weeks

I used to test ignition wires, so i speak more from the test engineer end then from the car runs funny end. NAPPA may have a good source making thier wires for them, but alot of after market wires are crap. One other aftermarket that is good is Bluestreak.

Also it depends how often you want to change the parts. Subaru wires can go 100,000 miles (and the plugs). Subaru has a really low (read make the dealer money) interval on these things.

I look at it this way, The original part went well over 100K, I am buying the original part again.

There have nbeen many cases on here of people having issues with aftermarket wires. I dont even have a napa near me, not all of us do.

As far as the O2 sensor, you get what you pay for :-p

nipper