Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale auto to manual conversion: reverse lights

I recently did a auto to manual conversion on my 91 Loyale and am having trouble hooking up my reverse lights. Its time for inspection. Does anyone know exactly where I need to hook up my reverse switch from my manual transmission to? I have already run a wire from the transmission to my shifter console. There was a multi pin plug that connected to my auto shifter and I am guessing that there was a switch in the auto's shifter. I don't have the shifter to look for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to track it down with a meter, but have gotten nowhere. Thanks

I found the switch in the tranny and have ran a wire from it to my shifter console where I think I need to hook it up at, just don't know exact wires or how to find them. Someone must have done one of these or know how.

Thats easy then. get a test light, and find one that has +12v to it. Take that wire and touch it to the other wires, with an assistant standing behind the car. When you find the wire that will turn the backup lights on, just plug the 12V+ line into one side of the tranny switch, and the line going to the backup lights to the other side of the tranny switch.

Sounds great. Let me know what you had to do. Yes, I love the 5sp & d/r tranny. I just need to get this inspection over. Thanks

Dammit! Still didn't get it done! My family is going to be in town this week and I spent today cleaning up the house (steam clean rugs, clean b-rooms, etc). I WILL get the instructions tomorrow. I promise!

The Automatics reverse light is done by the inhibitor switch. There should be a 4 pin plug (maybe more on the new cars) on the trans tunnel that the inhibitor switch connected to. When two of the wires are jumped, the reverse lights come on (I couldn't tell you right now which two wires it is).

If you still have the old shifter with the inhibitor switch, it won't be hard to figure out which two pins the switch crosses.

You'll have to run wires from the transmission all the way back to that switch.

to add to what mike already said the two wires you will want to jump your reverse switch to are going be the smaller two wires on the inhibitor switch. Im assuming that since your car is up and running you jumped the two larger wires together. Its the other two in that same plug that you need to run your wires from the tranny to. It doesnt matter which wire is which as far as i kno...unless i just got lucky the first time. Hope this helps and is relavent for an EA82 as this is for an EA81.

I just did a continuity check on my old crappy 3 speed auto tranny shift lever (I keep most everything after a mod, in case I have to switch things back). On the molex connector, the two wires in question seem to be a brown wire at terminal 9, and a black wire at terminal 11. It should look something like this.

O|O|O| O |O|O

O|O|X| ... |O|X

........9 ........ 11

Hope this makes sense.

Ok, I have the wire ran from my tranny switch to my tranny tunnel inside the car. I connected those two wires, one to brown & one to black. The indicator light in my dash now comes on and indicates reverse, but my lights still won't come on. ( I haven't changed my speedo cluster out yet) I did have to connect the two larger wires in the rectangular connector (auto tranny connector) for the car to start. The brown & black wires came from this same connector. I still have a few plugs under my spare tire that are not connected that were plugged into the old auto tranny. Should one of these plugs be jumpered? The other wires in the rectangular plug were for 1,2,D,N,P. Thanks again. :confused:

Make sure you connect the reverse switch and not the neutral switch on the tranny. I was driving home a couple of nights ago and realized my reverse lights were coming on no matter what gear I was in :dead:. Oh, and the wire colors may be different on your car, so go by the wire location (1,2) in the diagram.

OK. This should do it:

X|X|O| O |O|O

O|O|O| ... |O|O

1 = Green w/ black stripe

2 = Black w/ white stripe

I didn't bother to check if there was a second circuit last night.

90 Loyale FSM has the same colors. This should do the trick. Black w/ White wire is the 12v source, Green w/ Black goes out to lights.

Thanks a whole lot Sonicfrog & Gloyale. :banana: You have the correct wire colors. I'll be ready for inspection ( after front brakes) now. This thread should be archived somewhere with all other auto to manual conversion related articles. I posted this question & tried searching it out several months ago and didn't find what I needed.