Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Caliper rebuild reassembly order

I'm rebuilding the front calipers on a 97 OB, and I'm unsure of the correct order to reassemble the parts.

I've installed the seal that fits inside the caliper, and the boot is around the piston. Should the piston be fully compressed into the caliper before installing the metal ring, or does the ring go on prior to pushing in the piston?

I would guess the piston needs to be pushed in first, but I want to be certain.

Thanks in advance,

mp

Hi Max Power. I was just doing this same job today for the first time. It seemed easiest to get the boot ring in place with the piston fully seated. Plus with it fully seated you can spead that lucious niglube all over the place without risking getting it into the caliper bore.

Putting the boot ring on seemed to be a bit of the pain. It needs to be compressed to a small enough diameter to get it into the groove. But it seemed tough to get the ring to seat into/onto the boot groove. It liked to mash the boot back into the groove rather than sit in the groove. If that makes any sense.

Putting the boot ring on seemed to be a bit of the pain. It needs to be compressed to a small enough diameter to get it into the groove. But it seemed tough to get the ring to seat into/onto the boot groove. It liked to mash the boot back into the groove rather than sit in the groove. If that makes any sense.

Thanks, Porcupine. That makes sense, and I have successfully installed one of the rings. I suspect the rest will go smoothly now that I understand how it goes back together.

This isn't a bad job at all, and who wouldn't be happier spending around $20 for a rebuild instead of over $100 for new calipers?

Thanks again,

mp

I have tried many times to rebuild the calipers on my 97 Legacy wagon, I have never been able to get the rubber boots to stay on. However mine does not have a metal ring. I let Midas rebuild my calipers about eight years back, maybe they left them off. I have rebuild the calipers on our Saturn wagon and they have the metal rings and are easy.

Thanks, Porcupine. That makes sense, and I have successfully installed one of the rings. I suspect the rest will go smoothly now that I understand how it goes back together.

This isn't a bad job at all, and who wouldn't be happier spending around $20 for a rebuild instead of over $100 for new calipers?

Thanks again,

mp

Today must be the day for brake jobs :)

I happened to print out the Factory Service Manual brake service pages for my '99 Outback today. I replaced front and rear pads and front rotors. Didn't need to do anything to the calipers.

The FSM just says to install the boot ring after installing the boot onto the cylinder and piston. It also says be careful not to scratch the boot.

This is for the 2500CC model, FSM section 4-4 [W1E2]. These are the dual piston calipers, the single piston calipers (non-2500CC model) don't show the boot ring.

Thanks I guess that is why mine dont have one.

Today must be the day for brake jobs :)

I happened to print out the Factory Service Manual brake service pages for my '99 Outback today. I replaced front and rear pads and front rotors. Didn't need to do anything to the calipers.

The FSM just says to install the boot ring after installing the boot onto the cylinder and piston. It also says be careful not to scratch the boot.

This is for the 2500CC model, FSM section 4-4 [W1E2]. These are the dual piston calipers, the single piston calipers (non-2500CC model) don't show the boot ring.

Max, when you say rings are you talking about the the little wire circles? Because the ones on my 97 does not have them. Do you have two pistons or one? Mine only has one.

My 97 OB has two pistons per caliper. Go figure...

mp