Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MMO in crankcase

Ok, so I tried the seafoam technique and no luck. The car just has a slight tick for the first five minutes its running when its cold. So now I'm going to try MMO. If I put a quart of it into the crankcase does the oil need to be changed soon thereafter? I poured over past threads and I couldn't seem to find the answer. Thanks for all the help guys!! This forum has helped so much with keeping my soob going.

Mike

Ok, so I tried the seafoam technique and no luck. The car just has a slight tick for the first five minutes its running when its cold. So now I'm going to try MMO. If I put a quart of it into the crankcase does the oil need to be changed soon thereafter? I poured over past threads and I couldn't seem to find the answer. Thanks for all the help guys!! This forum has helped so much with keeping my soob going.

Mike

Five minutes of tick til warm? That's nothing to worry about, and probaly no amount of seafoam, atf, MMO or anything else is going to make it go away. (dimes under HLA's perhaps?)

Five minutes of tick til warm? That's nothing to worry about, and probaly no amount of seafoam, atf, MMO or anything else is going to make it go away. (dimes under HLA's perhaps?)

Yeah thats kind of what I was thinking. The car runs really well, I'd just like the early morning tick to subside. But if not, no big deal.

Mike

i've never changed the oil immediately after adding MMO. but if it goes away after warming up, i wouldn't expect any oil treatments or additives to fix it.

i agree with nipper and would add, change your oil frequently and don't run the car hot.

has the oil pump ever been resealed?

i've never changed the oil immediately after adding MMO. but if it goes away after warming up, i wouldn't expect any oil treatments or additives to fix it.

i agree with nipper and would add, change your oil frequently and don't run the car hot.

has the oil pump ever been resealed?

I'm not sure of the history of the car, bought it just a few months ago. I did install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge (because the stock one was dead) and the car has good oil pressure.

not knowing the history, i always put a new timing belt on a soob. if that's anywhere in the future for you then i'd plan on a new belt and you can reseal the oil pump then as well. be sure to do it right, replace all 3 items in the pump and use the right sealant in the right place.

in my experience with these things, a reseal of the oil pump is more likely to cure your ticking than playing with your oil supply. even if additives/oil did help, it will most likely return in the near future. so if the mmo, seafoam, oil thing doesn't help just plan on addressing it with the next timing belt.

I'm not sure of the history of the car, bought it just a few months ago. I did install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge (because the stock one was dead) and the car has good oil pressure.

Whats good oil pressure?? What I mean is what is the guage reading at start up, then after it's up to operating temp?

SeaFoam should be left in the oil. Some say it will evaporate over time but I'm not sure. I put it in and leave it. Same with Marvels but just 16 oz's, not a quart. An additive will help but only if the tick is from gunked up lifters. If one or two trestments of cleaner in the oil doesn't help, then move on to replacing or re-sealing the oil pump as mentioned before.

Whats good oil pressure?? What I mean is what is the guage reading at start up, then after it's up to operating temp?

SeaFoam should be left in the oil. Some say it will evaporate over time but I'm not sure. I put it in and leave it. Same with Marvels but just 16 oz's, not a quart. An additive will help but only if the tick is from gunked up lifters. If one or two trestments of cleaner in the oil doesn't help, then move on to replacing or re-sealing the oil pump as mentioned before.

When I first start the car in the morning, the gauge gets to about 85. Then when the car is warm at idle it sits around 10 and when I'm driving on the freeway at cruising speed it sits at about 45. I looked up the proper oil pressure numbers on the forum and this seemed to be good to me.

Mike

Even with the good oil pressure numbers, could the oil pump still possibly need to be replaced?

Mike

These cars are just very prone to vavle tick. It's possible that your oil pump seals may need replaced. But if the pump has good pressure, I wouldn't replace it. Not just in hopes of getting rid of a few minutes of tick. Maybe next time you change your timing belts, reseal the pump. Don't forget the Shaft seal of the pump under the pulley. That's the one that really get's the wear. Even with new seals, or a new pump even, you still could have a few minutes of ticking, especially as your oil gets older before oil changes. It is just the nature of the EA82 beast.

when is the last time you changed the oil? if it's been awhile, change it.

Even with the good oil pressure numbers, could the oil pump still possibly need to be replaced?
yes and no. it's not "needed", in the sense that ticking is not causing any damage and it's not a sign of anything bad. it is likely that new oil pump seals ($15) would cure the ticking. on rare ocassions a new oil pump will be needed to cure the ticking completely ($120).

it's possible that the ticking is from high mileage, wear, or dirty HLA's and none of the above will cure it. in my experience resealing the oil pump usually does the trick. the only soob i've come across that a reseal didn't fix the problem was driven for a long time with a blown headgasket and had lots of water in the oil.

I changed the oil about 500 miles ago. It was pretty sludgy from the previous owner :mad: But now I'll stay on top of it. When I find the time here in the next week I think I'll go ahead and change the timing belts and reseal or replace the oil pump. This car has been real good to me and I want to take good care of it. Thanks for all the advice guys!!

Mike