Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grinding noise when in gear

I recently got my '91 Loyale running and have been driving it around town some. I had detected a sort of "roaring" or "growling" noise at higher speeds which I attributed to a possible wheel bearing issue. Today I put the front end on jackstands and "drove" the car to see if I could figure out where the noise was coming from. Instead of wheel bearings, the noise seems to be coming from the bellhousing when the car is in gear. Oddly, the grinding becomes more pronounced in higher gears; it is almost inaudible in first, and at its worst in fifth. Just to clarify, this isn't a sound that occurs when putting the car into gear (like bad synchros would produce), but rather a steady grinding sound while the car is running in gear. It stops as soon as the clutch is depressed. I have no idea what could be going on. Corrosion on the flywheel? Mis-adjusted clutch cable? One other piece of information: the previous owner had a complete clutch replacement including flywheel resurfacing at 94,000 miles (the car has 153,000 now). 60,000 miles doesn't seem like much for a clutch, unless it was really abused. I welcome any ideas! Thanks.

- Ian

Could be a throw out bearing, or sometimes called the release bearing. Or possibly the bearing on the imput shaft where it goes into the tranny itself. Does it have any other sympons or just noisy?

I haven't detected any other symptoms - the car drives just fine. The transmission seems to shift smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any slipping of the clutch. It's just noisy, and gets noisier as the gears get higher. It's bad enough that it's clearly audible over my very pronounced lifter clatter!

Possibly a misadjusted clutch, making the throwout bearing ride on the fingers of the pressure plate. Otherwise I'd say it's the pinion shaft bearing in the transmission.

I second this. Also, did they replace the pilot bearing with the clutch? I had one that would squeal whenever the clutch was out. Since the noise is dependent on road speed, not engine speed, I'd say it's transmission related rather than clutch related though.