Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suspension discoveries

Numbchux

I was going to hold out on this until I had it all assembled this summer....but after my latest discovery, I can't hold it in anymore. :clap:

So, Most of you already know that the BE/BH legacies use a very similar shock design to the EA82s. and as a result, coilovers designed for said legacies can be used (suberdave and WJM are both using Teins in the rear).

BUT, I didn't want to go the full coilover route, so I've been looking at other options.

in my search, I was having some serious difficulty finding concrete information on spring specs, so I compiled this chart:

springspecs.jpg

anyone see anything interesting? the STOCK BE/BH legacies use virtually the same diameter rear spring as an EA82. so that means that aftermarket spings for a BE/BH legacy will fit pretty well on an EA82 rear shock.

So, My plan was to run KYB GR2s in the rear, and AGXs in the front (for some adjustability), with these JDM Legacy STi springs:

http://www.rallitek.com/jdmstispspse.html

but I was searching japanparts.com today....and found adjustable JDM Legacy STi shocks. these have the same lower mount on he bottom (just uses a larger bolt....a spacer can fix that) as an EA82, and with EA82 upper mounts, will fit the legacy springs perfectly.

AND, the top of the front springs are only 5mm narrower than the EA82s, so they'll fit pretty well on the stock upper mounts (for those who don't feel like modifying the strut towers).

anyway, here are the adjustable shocks, and a cheaper source for the STi springs:

http://japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=1&car=8&middlesmall=3%3A9&maker=4&volkey=

that combo will cost ~$1200....which is comparable to a Megan or Tein full coilover setup, but I think will yield a better ride for those of us who daily drive our cars on crappy roads, and/or RallyX. and I think if coupled with some poly bushings and XT6 sway bars, will still yield pretty awesome handling on the street/track.

just thought I'd share...

Does your souce of this info have any more? I'd be interested to see:

Outback and turbo legacies included

Spring length free and compressed

Thanks!

Tleg sedan is listed, as it seems it got a different rear spring diameter. Wagon is the same, turbo or not

spring diameters didn't change for Outback and the spring rates aren't listed separately, so I would assume the same there.

I'd love to get lengths, but haven't been able to find it for ANY of the springs listed.

sources:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=308442

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=2153

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/spring/spring.html

If you use a STOCK 2000+ legacy shock...it will NOT bolt on to the stock top mount. You will need to fabricate.

I tried this already.

As for the coilovers, they are intended for (or come with) different top mounts...and you can use the stock EA82 mounts with the tein shocks with very slight mods...aka cut one of the rubber bushings in 1/2 and you are done.

If you use a STOCK 2000+ legacy shock...it will NOT bolt on to the stock top mount. You will need to fabricate.

I tried this already.

yarg....how so?

maybe my mom will let me disassemble her '01 for a day to see if the fabrication might be within my capabilities.

• 1 month later...

Another option would be springs from iON Performance... they offer a lowering spring kit for the BE/BH legacies and are much more reasonable price wise than the STi bits. Also their spring fits the non-impreza upper perch that is only on the US spec 02-04 Legacy's... most JDM springs/kits require a switch to Impreza tops up front. Although you're only look at the rear so... FWIW.

I have the iON springs on my wife's '02 legacy and have been running them for over 2 years now. If interested, I could post some pics to give you an idea of the drop.

you cant use legacy spec springs on the Leone's with the legacy rear shocks...the top hat from the Leone must be used. Therefore the Leone springs must be used.

I don't see why that would be....the springs are the same size. I don't have the upper spring perch though (using the perch for my coilovers), so I can't say for sure. I can say the lower perch looks waaayyyy different, so I don't think you could use leone springs on the legacy shock

BUT, I do have an update. I bought the full suspension from a 2003 legacy BE sedan from a guy on SL-i.net with 50k miles on it for $80 (putting off aftermarket suspension for the summer....got other expenses). it just arrived today. I a shock off of my loyale, made some comparisons, and took some pictures.

full shot, loyale on left, legacy on right:

PICT2881.jpg

the tops, you can see how the legacy one is a thicker diameter...

PICT2883.jpg

the difference in hole size on the bottom (this one's easy....just a bushing):

PICT2884.jpg

here's the upper spring perch from my coilovers....fits perfectly over the shaft on the shock, and fits perfectly on the spring. so if I can just get the tophat on there somehow....I might not have to worry about the spring perch part.

PICT2885.jpg