Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why is there no category in the USRM dealing just with head gaskets?

I mean that particular issue seems to plague subies and I would like to know everyones tips tricks and failures. Remember when filling the radiator with coolant to throw a cap full over your shoulder as tribute to the head gasket spirits ;) I would imagine this would be a good discussion topic. Some say use only subaru gaskets, but others have had good luck with other brands. Some say use a 3 piece steel gasket. My car originally had the ea82 turbo, but blew 3 headgaskets on the turbo side and the motor had a crank problem. so I rebuilt an ea81 and that lasted 3k miles and the crank went because I didn't install a new oil pump. Now do I rebuild the ea81 again or buy another ea82turbo that I found with a blown headgsket and try putting it back original again?

HG's aren't that big of an issue - they last just about as long as any other brand out there ~200,000 give or take if you take care of the cooling system. If you are repeatedly blowing them then there's some problem with the head, block or cooling system, you haven't got them installed correctly or they aren't quality gaskets. Running higher boost on the turbo's will do it also.

GD

HG's aren't that big of an issue - they last just about as long as any other brand out there ~200,000 give or take if you take care of the cooling system. If you are repeatedly blowing them then there's some problem with the head, block or cooling system, you haven't got them installed correctly or they aren't quality gaskets. Running higher boost on the turbo's will do it also.

GD

I'm thinking of going back with the ea82 engine out of the wagon for 250 bucks. What I hate about this is its my dads car and he doesn't really have the money for trial and error. Right now I have two engines torn completely apart in my garage and nothing to work with. Who makes the best head gaskets for the EA82 turbo?

I'm thinking of going back with the ea82 engine out of the wagon for 250 bucks. What I hate about this is its my dads car and he doesn't really have the money for trial and error. Right now I have two engines torn completely apart in my garage and nothing to work with. Who makes the best head gaskets for the EA82 turbo?

OEM Subaru headgaskets for the EA82T. A little more expensive (I've paid anywhere from $50-$75 for them) but they hold up better to the boost of the turbo. If it was NA, Fel-Pro gaskets work just as good.

You give me a well written write-up on HG repairs and pertanent info and you can be famous and well loved for contributing to the USRM. I am not the know-it-all God of the subaru world so that is why we take "user submissions"

..and take pics too while you are doing your work.