Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can't get the trick of programming 01 forester remote

Grrr. I have tried several times now and I can't get my 01 Forester to go into program mode for my remote. I open and shut the drivers door, all doors unlocked, foot on brake, turn the key 10 times in 15 seconds, nothing. Tried it with foot on clutch too, nothing. Tried turning it 20 times, nothing.

I have an aftermarket stereo - could that be interfering with it?

It's driving me nuts...:banana:

yeah, from the link provided above;

8. Program remotes: works on Alpine system.

Unlock all doors, foot on brake, all doors closed. Cycle key quickly but carefully on-off appr 10 times until the car honks one time.

Do not turn the key far enough to start the car, just to the 'on' position so the dashboard lights up.

When the horn honks, open and close the driver's door, press any remote button and that's it.

Program another remote? Quickly open and close the driver's door again and push a button on the 2nd remote. That's it.

When you're done, remove the key and the horn should honk 3 times. You're all set.

Sometime it takes more than 10 on-offs to set program mode. Open/close the door, lock/unlock etc, wait 10 minutes, then try again.

OR take it to the dealer. I'd expect they could do that at no charge.

Did you buy a replacement remote from EBAY or somewhere? I've heard on some systems the freq./code/whatever numbers on the back matter.

Carl

Yes, I bought an ebay remote. However, how could the remote itself affect the way the car goes into program mode? See what I mean?

I may end up taking it to the dealer but I suspect they will want some money to do this.

I don't know what your manual says, but I do know that the one for my own car (a '99, also using the Alpine system) has info not at the "cars101" site. See if this previous post of mine helps: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=390602

If that doesn't do it, later I'll post the entire procedure verbatim from my manual.

I don't know what your manual says, but I do know that the one for my own car (a '99, also using the Alpine system) has info not at the "cars101" site. See if this previous post of mine helps: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=390602

If that doesn't do it, later I'll post the entire procedure verbatim from my manual.

Hey cool, I'll give it a shot with your instructions.

Thanks for the help...:)

• 3 weeks later...