Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird light problem after forester headgasget replacement

It is my stepmothers 99 forester automatic, ej25 shoc.

after replacing the drivers side headgasget, we hook everything up except the radiator hoses, and connect the battery.

when the battery is connected - no matter what key position (it doesn't even have to be in the ignition) the front turn signals, brake lights and instrument cluster lights (as in the light bulbs that backlight everything in the car, not the warning lights themselves) flash over and over.

they flash at half the rate of a normal turn signal flash, they flash for one minute, then stop for ten seconds, then flash for another minute, and repeat.

we have checked our electrical connections, and we are clueless as what this could be.

I just had the same thing happen to me on my 98 Forester.

Nothing works but this. Turn the key on but no start and find a little black button under the dash to the left of the wheel and press it with the key on. Your locks should cycle up and down 3 times. Turn the key off and you are done with the lights on and off 30 times and then off.

Some Foresters have the button recessed in a circular switch. Mine was just a little black button attached to the wiring near the two green plugs which you DO SHOULD CONNECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try that.

:banana:

[...]Mine was just a little black button attached to the wiring near the two green plugs which you DO SHOULD CONNECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assume that was meant to say "SHOULD NOT CONNECT". The "green plugs" are for diagnostic purposes, and normally are left apart.