Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV Shafts

I've got a problem with my CV Shafts, I'm hoping some of you might be able tolook at this and tell me what the problem might be. I posted pictures at

http://www.frontier-media.com/subarubrat/Subaru%20Brat.html

(all the greese is from the old boot tear)

Basicaly I installed new shafts from Marshal several months ago and the boot tore on one of them. Marshal went out of his way to help me and got my CV boot repaired quickly. He agreed it should not have torn so quickly so when I re-installed it I took some picures. I don't know what it is supposed to look like and the word I got was "something is not right!"

My guess is the adjustment on the strutt but the thing is designed that way, again....looking for advice. The other thought is that it is a different tranny. The guy I bought it from said it had a new motor and tranny but that was as far as he got.

It's an 85 brat and thank you for any information.

I think that the strut has to go down into the cup on the hub. That should help remove some of the angle on the CV joint. Not positive, I just know that mine sits all the way to the bottom.

Cd45 has it right. Pry the strut down with a large screwdriver so you can install the bolt. It's also possible that the shaft has pulled out of the joint at the transmission end; that would require replacing the axle again.:eek:

Thanks guys for the response. Do you think that 3/8 inch at the strutt could cause the angles I'm seeing. Also, the drivers side is brand new re-maufactured. Could the shaft have pulled out of the joint during installation. Any other ideas?

I'll go lower them now. That's how they were when I bought it so I set the new ones just like the old ones. Do yout hink that will make the difference?

that's waaaaay too much axle angle. lower those bad boys.

Thanks guys for the response. Do you think that 3/8 inch at the strutt could cause the angles I'm seeing. Also, the drivers side is brand new re-maufactured. Could the shaft have pulled out of the joint during installation. Any other ideas?

I have seen this happen on the outer joint on a *rebuilt* axle I was installing.

Ended up removing the axle at the trans end, but left it attached to hub. cut the clamp, reassembled, regreased(most rebulders don't use enough) and re clamped. The fold over to lock clamps suck. I have the $10 tool to install the *crimp* style clamp, so that's what I use.

I'll go lower them now. That's how they were when I bought it so I set the new ones just like the old ones. Do yout hink that will make the difference?

yes it will. adjusting the struts up that much will make very short work of your CV joints, especially non-OEM ones.