Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No.

Generally I agree, but that's not excactly true. With subaru roller bearings, you don't have to worry about an excact adjustment. Force from the axlenut should just hold the axle through the hub, not load the bearing. BUT, I think there is a point were they would be too tight. It would be really hard to get it too tight with conventional tools, but if you go more than say 350 ft.lbs(just a guess) I think it could hurt them.

But it's not like the old tapper bearing setup that had to be adjusted *just so*. Those kind it's easy to crush the rollers.

Generally I agree, but that's not excactly true. With subaru roller bearings, you don't have to worry about an excact adjustment. Force from the axlenut should just hold the axle through the hub, not load the bearing. BUT, I think there is a point were they would be too tight. It would be really hard to get it too tight with conventional tools, but if you go more than say 350 ft.lbs(just a guess) I think it could hurt them.

But it's not like the old tapper bearing setup that had to be adjusted *just so*. Those kind it's easy to crush the rollers.

You're right about 350 ft-lbs. Won't hurt the bearings but might break something else. I've always tightened them past 175 to be sure they were on there "good 'n tight." The point is the only critical thing here is if they are too loose.

• 2 weeks later...