Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My brother failed his inspection today and the guy told him he has an exhaust leak and a bad catalytic converter. It is a 95 legacy L wagon with 240K miles. Is there a way to clean things out so he would pass emissions? Is there anywhere to find cheap cat converters for that car?

I always used ''Guaranteed to Pass'' from Autozone or Checker. It's about $7 a bottle, but if you don't pass, you just send in a copy of the failed report and your receipt and they refund your money. You run it for a tank, fill up again, then test. It worked for me everytime, never needed a refund. If all you are looking for is to pass emissions this might be an option. Of course, taking care of the problems will result in longer life and better performance for your car, not to mention the whole global warming blah blah blah. I used it because even after replacing everything that might cause my failure problems, I still failed. I figured after dumping over $500 in to a 10 year old car just to get it to pass emissions, I was entitled to a little GTP.

Good luck.

You may have to patch/fix the exhaust leak to pass.

Do they like sniff the exhaust while running or do a dyno test or something? Otherwise most states have a DMV web site listing exactly what is 'required' to be checked during inspection.

If it's an exhaust sniff test, I've heard running several bottles of 'isoheet' or similar isopropyl may help. Also get the car good and warmed up before going for the test, and leave it running in the parking lot while waiting.

If you have an exhaust leak and a dead cat, nothing will help you pass. My feeling is at that mileage they are probably two in the same.

Look at the exhaust system yourself. A leaking exhaust us dangerous, espeically if it fairly forward in ther car. Hit the cat with hour hand when the cat is cold. If it rattles, the cat is scrap.

nipper

My brother failed his inspection today and the guy told him he has an exhaust leak and a bad catalytic converter. It is a 95 legacy L wagon with 240K miles. Is there a way to clean things out so he would pass emissions? Is there anywhere to find cheap cat converters for that car?

if you have a bad Cat the chances are that it's shredded inside and you need a new one. no amount of chemicals in a bottle will fix that.