Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What do you think about driving a car parked for 10 months?

I'm thinking about going and picking up a wagon tomorrow. It's an '86 that was used as a beer delivery car for years. It has 120k miles on the ea82 and ran strong before it was parked. It got a 4" lift and swampers put on, then driven 10 miles and parked. It's been sitting there for 10 months. Now it won't start because of a dead battery, but I'll take a battery down when I go. Do you think it will be driveable once I swap the batter? Should I risk the long drive to get it? I don't have access to a truck right now unfortunately, otherwise I'd tow it. What should I replace when I get it back?

Why would you be worried? As long as there aren't like rats anywhere they aren't supposed to be, I think it'll fire right up after you get the gunk out of the carb. Might take a little ether, but it should go. My 1965 LeMans can sit for 10 months and fire right up whenever I want it to.

Yeah no salt around here. I think I'll be fine, just wondering if there was anything I should look out for. Thanks :D

Hey are there any problems with driving a lifted soob long distances? The guy said it might be a little hard on the axles but I didn't think it'd be too bad.

My Brat sat for 5 YEARS before I got it. Ran like crap for a while with old gas and old plugs, blowing circular smoke rings and whatnot, but it cleared up just fine after an oil change, new plugs, air cleaner, fresh gas and a little RPM Flexing ;)

IMO, 10 months isnt that long. I think you'd be good to go.

My car's never ran right, always had SOMETHING wrong with it, the cooling system is NOT up to par whatsoever, and I still drove it on a 6 hour drive, and also a 6 hour drive back about a week later, no problems at all, didnt have to stop throughout the whole round trip.

I feel more confident in my old Subaru than in any other car I've owned for long trips, including three that were less than a few years old.

lol GO FOR IT the car i got sat in an old barn for 3 years befor i got it and i puta battery in it fired it up and drove it home put 5 galloins of premo gas and some fule injector cleaner and she is the fastest wagon ive ever owned (shes a turbo of course :)

My loyale sat for like 4 yrs before I got it. Ran fine. I see no problem driving that car home. Maybe take it easy, at least at first. Also, I'd change the oil before hitting the road, definatly. Just bring the stuff w you, or I guess stop at Jiffy Lube(although in my opinion, thats more of a risk than just driving it home-JIFFY LUBE SUCKS!!!) Make sure you check their work, especially the oil filter. How much did you give for the car? Just curious!:)

Biggest concern would be bad gas. I would try to syphon out and replace as much as possible. I would also change the oil after driving it a short distance to remove any condensation build-up. Just one mans opinion.:cool:

I would recommend getting a quart of marvel mystery oil. Remove the feed line to the fuel pump and drain out any fuel in there, pour the MMO in, drain that out, and pour a gallon or two of good fresh fuel in there. Get to a gas station and add some lucas fuel injector cleaner, or seafoam, or something of that nature to 8 gallons of fuel or so, (or a full tank, i guess, if youre driving a good distance) and you should be fine. Changing the oil would probably be a wise thing as well; if you do that, you might want to add some MMO or seafoam to the oil before you start out, just to give yourself some added flushing.

BUT some fuel precautions, and a simple oil change, are probably more than sufficient. The more you do, the greater your peace of mind; but something is ALOT more than nothing, and going to great lengths eventually does encounter a point of diminishing return.. it WAS only 10 months, after all... Play it safe and keep an eye on the cooling system; make sure the radiator is full of coolant and check to make sure the fan comes on as it should. If not, a simple jumper wire installed in place of the temp switch in the passenger side tank of the radiator will make it run whenever the key is on, providing the fan itself actually works.

bought my car after it sat for a year and a half - new battery and some fresh fuel and it fired right up. got it home and did some basic maintenance (oil change, plugs wires, etc and some not so basic maintenace - clutch, axles) and have been driving it for nearly six years now. :clap:

Well I went ahead and drove down today with a buddy of mine. Got there and threw the new battery in it an no start :(. No power anywhere. So I check everything over and sure enough a fusible link is in 2. Twisted it together and fired right up :D. Had to rev it for a few minutes to get all the gunk out but after that it purred. Paid the guy and drove back into town and got an oil change. Looked around some more and the cap and wires were sooooo bad I don't even know how it ran. Replaced those, put a gallon of water in the rad, got a new air filter, and it sounded great. Driving was seriously messed up though. Something was wrong. Looks like the back right wheel bearing is toast. The wheel has like an inch of play. By the time I got home it was nearly totally seized, it was like driving with the parking break. But I made it home!!! Tomorrow I have a few more things to replace and it should be great. It has a brand brand new 4" AA lift, brand new AA 15" wheels, and brand new 29" swampers. Pics will follow :D.

Sorry I don't have pics yet. The rear end has been jacked up and the rear right suspension has been totally taken off since I got it. Waiting to drop it back down and power wash some of the green algae looking crap off the paint, then I'll snap a few pictures :D.