Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking at a 96 Outback 2.2 with 5 speed. The place says that the main computer burned out on a test drive and now will not start and will need to be towed. My question is, would a computer from a 96 2.2 Auto trans fit right in? How difficult and time consuming is this whole process??

Depends what they're talking about, and whether their diagnosis that "the computer burned out" is correct. I don't think the MT's have a TCU, whereas the AT does. But don't worry, these computers are just a fad.

If it is the ECU and the connectors and wiring match up, then it should just be plug and play.

[...]The place says that the main computer burned out on a test drive and now will not start and will need to be towed. [...]

Just what kind of "place" is it? I'd be very leery of that claim; if the problem is known, why isn't it being fixed? A "no start" condition could be due to anything from minor ignition or fuel-delivery problems to a jumped/broken timing belt, or worse.

if you dont own it, walk away from it. it may be a flood car. These things just dont quit spontanously. It's rare on the board to see them come up, i can remeber only 6 of them as the car being dead, and a few others with odd runing.

nipper