Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've been smelling a hint of burning coolant from the engine bay for a few months. Checked it out, and found one side leaking externally. Not gushing, but enough to slowly burn.

So I take it in to the dealer and have them check it out. They confirm the leak and say the car isnt covered by the extended TSB warranty. I was contacted years back when they first issued the TSB and therefore had the dealer put the stop leak in at every coolant change, and documented. Is it possible some VINs arent covered in 2002?? The dang thing only has 76,000mi on it. I am so pissed

Who do I call at SOA to verify and plead my case?

If the leak is dripping on the ground while the car is running and warm, SOA will have to replace the leaking headgasket under warranty, as long as it is under 100k miles. The engine has to be original to the chassis.

However, you need to do the following:

Buy one gallon of SUBARU Coolant (comes in a white 1 gallon jug, says SUBARU Genuine Coolant for professional use only all over it...etc etc)

Buy two bottles of the SUBARU Coolant System Conditioner

And lastly, a NEW SUBARU thermostat and gasket.

Now...

Remove the two 10mm headed bolts from the thermostat housing, pull the t-stat out...let all the coolant drain out of the engine/radiator.

Install the new t-stat/gasket...hose and housing etc etc...

remove the upper hose from the rad, shake both bottles up VERY WELL and then pour them into the rad hose...

now pour in approx 2/3rds of the coolant into the rad hose.

Find some filtered/distilled/non-well water type water and finnish filling thru the rad hose until its full.

reattach to rad...finnish filling thru the rad until full.

start engine, let it warm up to purge all the air...and reinstall rad cap.

Make sure the empty and clean the overflow tank and fill it 1/2 way with the SUBARU coolant.

You are done. Now, you should not see any more leaks from the headgaskets in about 1 day.

Your cooling system needs to be serviced this way ATLEAST once a year or every 12k miles.

ALL N/A EJ25 SOHC engines REQUIRE the conditioner in order for the head gaskets to NOT leak.

Its BS, I know...but thats what it takes.

Otherwise, replace the stock head gaskets with these: 11044AA642

Those DO NOT LEAK.

I noticed some weeping of coolant from the gasket on the passenger side of my 2001 Forester. My dealer could not tell me if my vehicle was covered under the extended warranty. I called Subaru of America and they confirmed that it was and called my dealer to straighten things out. They changed out the coolant and added the sealer again which seemed to fix the problem for now. I have about another year on the warranty.

Dave

I noticed some weeping of coolant from the gasket on the passenger side of my 2001 Forester. My dealer could not tell me if my vehicle was covered under the extended warranty. I called Subaru of America and they confirmed that it was and called my dealer to straighten things out. They changed out the coolant and added the sealer again which seemed to fix the problem for now. I have about another year on the warranty.

Dave

I think that is the biggest crock of crap. Sealer isnt permanant. It's just going to get you past the extended warranty till it really fails. I've been complaining about this for the past few months and now it's actually happening to me.

Excellent info inspite of the problem...

If the leak is dripping on the ground while the car is running and warm, SOA will have to replace the leaking headgasket under warranty, as long as it is under 100k miles. The engine has to be original to the chassis.

However, you need to do the following:

Buy one gallon of SUBARU Coolant (comes in a white 1 gallon jug, says SUBARU Genuine Coolant for professional use only all over it...etc etc)

Buy two bottles of the SUBARU Coolant System Conditioner

And lastly, a NEW SUBARU thermostat and gasket.

Now...

Remove the two 10mm headed bolts from the thermostat housing, pull the t-stat out...let all the coolant drain out of the engine/radiator.

Install the new t-stat/gasket...hose and housing etc etc...

remove the upper hose from the rad, shake both bottles up VERY WELL and then pour them into the rad hose...

now pour in approx 2/3rds of the coolant into the rad hose.

Find some filtered/distilled/non-well water type water and finnish filling thru the rad hose until its full.

reattach to rad...finnish filling thru the rad until full.

start engine, let it warm up to purge all the air...and reinstall rad cap.

Make sure the empty and clean the overflow tank and fill it 1/2 way with the SUBARU coolant.

You are done. Now, you should not see any more leaks from the headgaskets in about 1 day.

Your cooling system needs to be serviced this way ATLEAST once a year or every 12k miles.

ALL N/A EJ25 SOHC engines REQUIRE the conditioner in order for the head gaskets to NOT leak.

Its BS, I know...but thats what it takes.

Otherwise, replace the stock head gaskets with these: 11044AA642

Those DO NOT LEAK.

I think that is the biggest crock of crap. Sealer isnt permanant. It's just going to get you past the extended warranty till it really fails. I've been complaining about this for the past few months and now it's actually happening to me.

Well, I agree...but SOA did some extended studies and it showed that as long as you do the once a year flush and using the conditioner with SUBARU coolant, it doesnt leak.

Is 1 bottle of coolant conditioner still recommended in those "studies" when one is Not experiencing any problems yet, or has the recommended "conditioner" been upgraded now too, 2 bottles each time...

Well, I agree...but SOA did some extended studies and it showed that as long as you do the once a year flush and using the conditioner with SUBARU coolant, it doesnt leak.