Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I sat in the car quite a few times over the last year. Very sad to go to the dealership and talk with the guy who sold the car. Alcohol (BAC .23) was involved as was exsesive speed (apx 155mph on a 55mph curve) and possibly no seat belts. I'll try and get the pics. good time for a reminder with graduations etc just ahead. Tim

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770514034

I had a friend pass away almost two years ago in a similar incedent. No alcohol involved. Just inexperiance and ego. 04 STi, 21 yr old driver who had preiviously only owned trucks. Got the car he had been wanting for a while, and immediately he had people wanting to race him. One night a newer mach 1 with another young(16) driver kept bugging the hell out of him. Jason finally told him to get lost. But after he did, jason got mad and went to chase him down. Police estimated speed of 130+mph in a 55 zone. He ran off the road and flipped countless times up a 50 foot rocky bank, and was ejected. He was wearing his belt, the back of the seat snapped and through him out the back window of the car.

One of my friends uncles did that on a backroad in my town about 3 years ago. Highly modified WRX, 5 people on board, 3 bucked in. Estimated 60mph into a tree with the drivers door, shards of the CD he was changing at the time embedded in his hand. Coke was involved, and not the liquid kind.

He died instanly, as did the rear right passenger, who wasn't bucked in and flew aross the car and died too.

This is a road I have a hard time holding 45mph on. Other 3 people in the car had cut's and scrapes.

It's trivial and I don't mean to make light of tradgedy.

But... did anyone notice they spelled it "Impresa"

now i did. Pretty awful when you hear these stories, they probably would be still alive if they buckled there seat belts.

That's terrible. I always tell my friends not to buy their kids WRX's or let them borrow theirs for "special nights." It's simply too much car for novice (and judgement impaired) drivers.

It reminds me years ago when a Ford executive told me that they called the 5.0 Mustang "kiddie-killers" and they had a real problem trying to balance performance with safety for some of the inexperienced drivers that were buying them.

You would think that AWD, super handling, solid construction, and air bags might save some of those kids from their mistakes. On the otherhand, maybe it's precisely those features that gets them into trouble...

That right there is the key. The think the car will compensate for their lack of knowledge, experiance, and good judgement.

Not only that, but you get people trying to push the envelope of a car that they precieve to be the ultimate in handling capabilities. It is a very common misconception. You can have AWD and mods galore, but they don't mean squat when the person behind the wheel doesn't have the knowledge and experience to use them correctly and more importantly, know when to back off the go pedal. People need to remember, a car is an extension of yourself. If you aren't a good driver, your car will reflect that and often times, exploit your mistakes, which turn into accidents.

Motor Safely.

Patrick

It reminds me years ago when a Ford executive told me that they called the 5.0 Mustang "kiddie-killers"

My dad has a good friend who happens to have one of the older 5.0 mustangs. The thing scares me to death to even think about driving it. Reading threads like these makes me feel much better about having to floor it for quite a while in my outback to reach speeds most people consider dangerous.

• 3 weeks later...
My dad has a good friend who happens to have one of the older 5.0 mustangs. The thing scares me to death to even think about driving it. Reading threads like these makes me feel much better about having to floor it for quite a while in my outback to reach speeds most people consider dangerous.

Kind of funny, when my stock VW Passat has almost as much power as a lot of the 5.0's, and weight is similar.

Your VW Passat and SVX are not channeling their power through an ancient live rear axle ... and rear wheel drive at that... hit a bump at speed through a corner and yikes :eek:

The finely tuned German suspension and the AWD SVX are light years ahead of the old "fox" platform stangs of old... (that live axle is still around though...)

Ah, the good old days of white knuckle driving, NOT...

The finely tuned German suspension and the AWD SVX are light years ahead of the old "fox" platform stangs of old... (that live axle is still around though...

Check again. The 05+ Mustang has a complete suspension redesign under it.