Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02 impreza upgrading?

litewaitdave1

buy the w'x..

In the long run you will be much happier.. thats if your looking for speed that is.. suspension and I believe braking upgrades are similar.. but engine bolt ons are gonna be different..

I'm sure you've already checked pricing between the two..

if your looking to be turbo'ed its alot easier with a car that was sent from the factory with it then dealing with the possible lack of reliability that doing a conversion can bring.. that pesky boost bug has a nasty bite

imo

It really depends on how far you intend to go.

If you want piss your pants horsepower, it doesn't really matter which platform you start with. Either one will require gutting and rebuilding.

If you are looking for the 250 - 300 range, just start with the wrx and do a few bolt ons ( and EM too)

" If you want piss your pants horsepower, it doesn't really matter which platform you start with. Either one will require gutting and rebuilding. "

i would like 275 to 300 out of it eventualy but the most important part is handeling and brakes. can you bolt on STi brakes, swaybars, coilovers to a regular wagon. I dont want to take them off the line but in the corners!

" If you want piss your pants horsepower, it doesn't really matter which platform you start with. Either one will require gutting and rebuilding. "

i would like 275 to 300 out of it eventualy but the most important part is handeling and brakes. can you bolt on STi brakes, swaybars, coilovers to a regular wagon. I dont want to take them off the line but in the corners!

If you are only looking for the 275-300 range, start with a WRX and go for some bolt ons and EM.

And yes, many STi parts do fit the WRX.

http://www.nasioc.com is a good place for tech info, swap info and newer gen parts sales.

My friend has an 05 WRX putting about 280 to the ground, IIRC. He's got a VF-34 turbo, 560cc injectors, STi intercooler, 3" TBE no cats, flex uppipe no cat, and an off the shelf Cobb stage2 tune. Spinning the tires he ran a 12.8 @ 109mph at Bristol Dragway in TN.

Get the W'X and then go talk to the guys at Vishnu tuning. got a stage 0 03' and have been loving it for 114k miles just as fast as an STi but pulled the flags and kept the 16" wheels it's a sleeper. Love it, if it dies I'm going to fix it, if it wreks I'm getting another one next day.

Pretty much everything is a near direct bolt on... you can swap the EJ engine range extreemly easily, on my bro in laws 98 rs we just swapped in an EJ257 and it fit perfectly! Bodyparts from the wagon series will fit too, like the WRX wagon deck spoiler. If you dont wana spend extra to get the WRX then dont, you can make a Impreza wagon or legacy wagon as fast or as slow as you want fairly easily!!! and I would advise you to stay away from NASIOC, some of the guys their are pretty cool, but the rest of them are a bunch of knowitall punk kids who got into the subaruworld with their daddys wallet and an 04 sti!

I would advise you to stay away from NASIOC, some of the guys their are pretty cool, but the rest of them are a bunch of knowitall punk kids who got into the subaruworld with their daddys wallet and an 04 sti!

That does hold true somewhat.

The fact of the matter is however, that this guy is looking for tech info for a WRX. There is some here, but there is A LOT there. Many different complete builds to look at and/or emulate. We have what? 20 WRX owners active on the USMB? Our primary strength is old school.

OP - California eh? Good luck hitting 300 at the wheels while still passing smog. Be prepared to put it back to stock every year for inspection ;)

That does hold true somewhat.

The fact of the matter is however, that this guy is looking for tech info for a WRX. There is some here, but there is A LOT there. Many different complete builds to look at and/or emulate. We have what? 20 WRX owners active on the USMB? Our primary strength is old school.

OP - California eh? Good luck hitting 300 at the wheels while still passing smog. Be prepared to put it back to stock every year for inspection ;)

its every outher year for the smog inspection,ive been on the NASOIC website and the people are not as helpful as the people on this site.

ive been on the NASOIC website and the people are not as helpful as the people on this site.

Thats often true. But there is a huge pile of existing information there. Some work with the search button should net you enough information that you should never have to actually : shudder : interact with them.