Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Subaru Forester: Buy or Pass up?

Hello all! I'm looking at a 2001 Subaru Forester for sale by a private party which has 87,000 miles and he's asking $8,995 (o.b.o.).

I've already determined it is probably due for a timing belt, but my main concern is that my friend advised me that the 2001 Forester is known for head gasket problems and perhaps I should pass up on this year.

Is this true or should ignore the warning and grab this Forester?

Also, if I bought it and ran into this head gasket problem and repaired it... is it likely to return again after a repair?

Any thoughts will be appreciated... :)

I really want this forester and have dug through quite a bit of info but wonder if maybe there have been some recent "miracle cures" for this problem :D

I might not mind one major repair down the road, but I don't want the car to turn into a money pit. Hmm...

You can use the "antifreeze treatment" from subaru. There is good info on here about it as well. The ej25 will at some point in its life have a head gasket issue with the originals. There is a newer part number that is supposed to be a fix for the old head gaasket problems. Just a new designed gasket. I think WJM posted the part number a week or so ago.

You can use the "antifreeze treatment" from subaru. There is good info on here about it as well. The ej25 will at some point in its life have a head gasket issue with the originals. There is a newer part number that is supposed to be a fix for the old head gaasket problems. Just a new designed gasket. I think WJM posted the part number a week or so ago.

Thanks for the info! I may call the local subaru dealer and see what they say about this issue... also curious about the WWP-99 (recall?)

The car should be good for a whole lot more miles than it has.

Subaru does have minor issues with headgaskets. It's not just

Foresters, they all have the same motor. The odds on having

to fix one is low.

I have a Trooper. They also have a headgasket issue. Took

18 years for it to finally fail.

If the Forester does the things you need it to do, buy it!

All cars have issues.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

I have a 2001 Forester with 85k on it. Bot it used 2 yrs ago. Very happy with it. Expect to need to replace the front 02 sensor. Have the dealer put in their coolant additive to extend your HG warranty to 100k miles. You are probably about due for the passenger front axle to be replaced also as the inner boot cracks every 5 yrs due to exhaust pipe heat. Use these reasons to bargain him down to $7500.

you might be able to check, i have a few EJ25's at my place...some with blown headgaskets, i'm pretty sure you can visually tell if the headgasket has been replaced. once it's replaced it's golden, they use a newer updated gasket. the ones i have, the blown ones are just a thin one piece design you can tell without even pulling the motor apart since part of the gasket sticks out at the top and bottom of the long block. just look down by the power steering pump. if it's been replaced you'll see a multi-layer design gasket....this is just from looking at the ones i have, i'm not real keen on the differences..and i could be mistaken, but i've seen two types on the EJ25's i have so i'm assuming that's why.

i have one in my garage right now with 83,000 miles - and a blown headgasket. myself, i don't recommend paying top dollar to any of my friends if money is a concern at all or something like that is going to leave a bad taste in their mouth. if a $1,500 repair bill, or you can do it yourself and that stuff doesn't bother you, then buy it. for people that i know that are leveraging all they have and paying as much as they can for a car...if that's the case i recommend against an EJ25. it depends as much on you as the car...some people have a very demanding demeanor and get very upset if they incur a problem...wanting to dump the car, call it junk, never buy Subaru again, etc, etc....if that's you, then you might want an EJ22 vehicle. otherwise, a great car, excellent reliability and very functional.

check for torque bind too before you buy. search for "torque bind" on the forum here. basically drive in figure 8's, tight circles and see if there's any binding. which leads to the next point, when you get it be sure to plan for a timing belt and also change the transmission fluid right away. many people don't, so i make it practice to change ATF in any used Subaru i come across and do not know.