Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alrighty guise. Hear's the deizie;

I piocked up this here Subaroid SVX a while ago now, and I've been tooling about in it and havin' myself a grand ole' time.

SO, a buddy of mine (milesfox, my room mate) had come across this 95 legacy with a busted tranny. With little to no life left in the leganus, I decided I would buy n'up the wheels from him so I could have some nice snow tires for the winter.

BUT, lucky for me, subis was kinda silly when they made this here SVX and the damn wheels don't even fit.

My question is simple, but alas I am too much of an idiot to be able to answer it myself. Does anyone here know the bolt pattern of this SVX and have a rough idea of what I could get to carry out my winter tire plan?

I'm within spitting distance of the legendary Subaru Heaven, and the guy's got a SVX with parts to spare, but he's still askin' $650 for the wheels on it! (though they do have some nice high performance rubbers wrapped around them)

Any info or even a finger point in the right direction would help.

5x114.3 for the SVX wheels. The 05+ WRX and STI have that pattern. Every other modern era Subaru has 5x100.

Only the 05+ STi. Also the tribeca.

WRX is still 5x100.

I think an SVX looks awesome with STI wheels:

29204dl1.jpg

I know Subaru bearings tend to be pretty weak, but that's ridiculous.

For one the SVX has brakes bigger than what is on the wrx, and those wheels are very open.

Secondly the best way to keep things cool is to draw air into the center of the rotor from the back.

Thirdly would Subaru really design it so that if you didn't have the little 'air scoop' wheels the bearings and brakes would fry?

Fourthly some sort of evidence of this would be nice. Have you attached thermocouples to the brakes/bearings and done laps around a track with and without the stock wheels to compare brake temps?

yeah, funny thing is I actually considered it since we have some of that stuff laying around at work. Instead I just use the IR thermometer.

The point is that changing the wheels won't fry the bearings.

I know Subaru bearings tend to be pretty weak, but that's ridiculous.

It's pretty well understood that the SVX has been the worst Subaru to date in regards to wheel bearings.

That's the #1 reason why I won't have one. I deal with wheel bearings enough already.