Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need to replace my leaking rack and don't really want to spend what the dealer is asking. My first choice wouldn't be spending the effort and money on a used unit - so my question is has anyone had good or bad luck with any particular brand of reman. or online seller of reman. racks?

I need to replace my leaking rack and don't really want to spend what the dealer is asking. My first choice wouldn't be spending the effort and money on a used unit - so my question is has anyone had good or bad luck with any particular brand of reman. or online seller of reman. racks?

actually my first choice would be a used one. Racks when they go bad, tend to leak, so its very obvious. They dont really leak internally or bind up.

nipper

actually my first choice would be a used one.
agreed, definitely have someone install a used one. no need to have a dealer do it either, and it's probably against their policy to install a used one anyway. they are straight forward and easy to install for any mechanic. subaru steering racks very rarely fail and when they do, they leak like nipper said. nearly every 20 year old subaru on the road has the original rack in it, even the older generation steering systems are very reliable.

FWIW My girlfriends 95 or 96 Impreza started leaking badly, the boots had been ripped off, it had 200 k on it. A local dealer's service manager had said that the rebuilt ones weren't any better and suggested used. I stuck a bottle of Lucas in it. Never needed to add fluid again. It went 240k before she was hit from behind and the car was a total loss.

For less than 10 bucks I'd try Lucas - or some other miracle cure if you haven't already. You don't have much to loose.

Dave

it has been said (i believe by nipper) that additives are not a great idea for steering racks, too many critical parts and valves and passages and such with tight tolerances inside. i was thinking the same thing a couple weeks ago since my XT6 rack had a very slow leak. i swapped racks instead. that's the only steering rack i've ever seen leak.

it has been said (i believe by nipper) that additives are not a great idea for steering racks, too many critical parts and valves and passages and such with tight tolerances inside. i was thinking the same thing a couple weeks ago since my XT6 rack had a very slow leak. i swapped racks instead. that's the only steering rack i've ever seen leak.

What is there to lose? Either way the original rack hits the junk yard. Personal believer here. When I bought my Sport Sedan the only leak was a weepy rack. A little fluid and 4 years later not so much as a peep from the rack and not a drop of fluid lost.

Loss of control of the car. The feeling in your stomach when the car feels odd when the steering starts acting up again.

You can gain peace of mind by replacing the rack.

nipper

So, nobody has ever had any luck with a reman?

probabaly not, as a rebuild can be costly.

nipper

Possibly. The only rack that seems to be avail. cost. (after core return) around $210 with a lifetime guarantee. I plan on doing the job myself and haven't been successful locating a used one locally that doesn't look like garbage. I just don't want to deal with a crappy vendor or product, but it seems like nobody has any experience with reman. units. I'll keep lookin' around though.