Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Am i NOT suppost to use NGK platinum's with a EJ22E(non turbo) engine?

I went to my dealer and asked about the crappy fuel economy, and was told that the NGK platinum plugs could be a problem something about the resistance. I was talkign to a guy at from desk not a mechanic.

I also found out that the throttle body cleaner leaves residue on the MAF sensor, and i sprayed my MAF very well with throttle body cleaner, so ill get some brake cleaner to clean it off now see if that brings it up again. Because i was getting 400+km a tank now im getting 300-350 then get the yellow light.

Hm..never heard that about the platinum plugs before. Sounds like misinfo to me. NGK lists a whole bunch of their spark plug models for Subaru's, including platinum in non-turbo applications.

What brand throttle cleaner did you use to clean the MAF? If it contains any type of oil/lubricant that would be a problem. There are specific 'maf cleaners' but a non-chlor brake cleaner should work good. Those usually have non residue leaving items such as xylene, toluene, acetone, mek, etc. A chlorinated cleaner would probably work too but chlorine is a lot harsher.

thanks, ya thats what i thought. He thinks there to harsh he told me :lol:

Well, ill get some non-chlor brake cleaner, on the front of the throttle body cleaner it said for o2 throttle body, and a few other engine components, i think PCV as well, but didn't say MAF.

Coppers yield the BEST PERFORMANCE when used properly...aka gapped and changed regularly.

Plat. and iridium plugs are for longevity....60k miles, and 100k miles change intervals. However, when those are put to the test...they really do not perform as well as a good copper.

I would use the stock copper plugs, and make sure that the coil and wires are in good condition. From there...check on your air filter, and make sure the O2 sensors are working properly and last but not least...see if the cats are not clogged and if the muffler is still intact internally.

I have bosch Platinum +2's in there and don't seem to have any issues with the ignition system, runs very smooth.

I'm a basic 'Bosch Super' copper person myself but I got these for free and figured hell I'll pop em in and give them a try, not disappointed.

The advice WJM has given is the best advice that can be given.

Copper is still a better conductor than platinum or iridium. Those plugs just last longer.

Only use plat/iri plugs if that's what was used from the factory.

Finsol, do your Subaru a favor and get those Bosch plugs out. Subarus and Bosch plugs are not BFFs. It may run okay, but you're hurting performance and worsening your gas mileage.

tommorow going to auto parts store(napa) going to get a ground cable for thats anther thing.......... and the NGK plugs, if they even have themm,and if so if they are cheaper thhen the ones at subaru. Not to sure EXACTLY which plugs came with the car though!

Most parts store batabases have the oe plug type noted. At least they do where I buy plugs(advance auto).

If you have an owners manual it should also be in there.

Matter of fact I have one...

NGK BKR6E-11

i wonder if the plugs are different between the turbo and non turbo? u have a 91 SS correct?

Ok went on NGK website says it used these under V-power BKR6E-11

then here is the rest it can use.

G-Power Platinum Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap Note Full Tip BKR6EGP 7092 0.044 View View Iridium IX Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap Note Full Tip BKR6EIX-11 3764 0.044 View View Laser Platinum/Iridium Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap Note Full Tip BKR6EP-11 2978 0.044 View View

stupid throttle body cleaner :-p There now the car runs that way i like it. Its nice and quiet, and smooth, and no hesitation. Awsome! I used some electronic cleaner. Worked wonders, before i could feel a slight vibration from the engine at idle which was 500rpm and now i don't feel anything when i put my hand on the engine. I wonder if changing the plugs would make it a little better. If i find a deal on the v-power plugs i will go for them.