Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's gonna be really hard to do this...

... but I've decided to do it.

Before 2008, I need my 79 to be sold. :(

Here's what's happening:

I live in a duplex that my grandparents own. I live on the south side, and whenever they decide to come up to Orlando, they stay in the north side. There are two garages: the XT currently sits in their garage, while my 79 sits in pieces in my garage.

Needless to say, they're not too thrilled about it. They allow it, but no more.

I expect to graduate in December unless something drastic happens (knocking on wood). I will probably then pursue more lofty aspirations than working in a Subaru parts department, and my grandparents feel that I need to also pursue more lofty aspirations as far as my transportation situation goes.

Under normal circumstances, I would stand my ground and say that I simply enjoy tooling on old cars too much, and it's true; I do.

But the offer that I was given this past weekend is one I simply cannot refuse.

My grandmother told me that if I get rid of my XT and 79, that she will BUY me a new Forester XT Sports (Pic of 07 and Pic of 08), and I will also get to KEEP my Legacy, which as most of you know is my baby.

That means I will have a brand-new car that I don't have to worry about, and I will still get to tool around on my favorite car in the whole wide world.

Of course, the idea of a brand-new car, the idea of owning the last new Subaru that I actually like the design of, and FINALLY having a turbo appeal to me greatly. But I'm considering this from a practical standpoint too.

My Legacy remains my daily driver, and it has 171k on it. Granted, it's been impeccably reliable and I expect it to continue as such even after I get the Forester. But it's entirely possible that it will have 180k on it by the end of the year, and let's face it, it's not going to last forever and it will eventually meet its demise. I need to retire it at least as my daily driver.

I spend waaaaaay too much money on my cars. You all saw my $5,444.94 thread. No, I haven't spent near that much this year, and I won't come close to it by year's end either. But I'm going to be graduating college, and I will need to start thinking about things like a house and all that grown-up stuff. Having 8,732,487,396,894 projects to work on simply doesn't allow me to save money.

Coincidentally, what I think my XT and 79 are worth together, once I get them back in operational condition, would conveniently pay my credit cards off :rolleyes:

So, yes, you will see a thread in the For Sale forum posted by me, selling my 79 sometime this year. Don't think it's going to be easy for me to do. I see all kinds of potential in my 79. I love being one of the scant few FL people who own a Gen1 Subaru, and likewise, I love my XT dearly, even though I don't drive it, and I would love to keep it preserved as a beautiful piece of Subaru history. But I have to *gulp* compromise.

The deal I'm getting is a once-in-a-lifetime deal, and I would be plain retarded to pass it up.

I still plan on at the very least, getting the drivetrain back in and getting it running and moving under its own power. And I'll sell it with all the NOS OEM parts sitting in the hatch. I might even try to have a little fun with it before it gets sold, so I at least feel the project was somewhat worth it.

You'll be fine, its part of growing up. They are just cars.

I had to sell my Brat with its custom House of Kolors paint job and all the things I had done to it in the 4 years I had it...

And just recently I had to sell all my uninstalled goodies for my Turbo Legacy because taking care of family is a way more important. I had my lifelong dream parts sitting in the basement, it was hard to sell. But they unfortunately were worth lots of money (more than I paid). ;)

But they are all things that can easily be obtained further down the road (if you care about it that much still... The Brat was the MOST fun I had, pre-turbo, but I can do without). You will definitely miss them but you have to be able to move on at times. :burnout: (turbos make it easier :))

I want it!! I want it!! I want it!! The 79 Brat. Im in WPB, FL and I will be able to get it off your hands quickley. PLEASE tell me all the details. Ive been looking and looking but no luck since Ive moved back here. Everything I see is always too far(Oregon or Washington). Please I have the $ and ways to transfer it. As long as it runs good and has very minimal rust, Im your buyer!!!!!!!:banana:

Please give me all the details and pics. Email is tbag1331@yahoo.com and phone is 561-531-1570. Thanks, Tommy...

Hehe, it's okay. I was getting ready to tell you it was an wagon, not a Brat.

Here's pics if you want:

000_0843.JPG

000_0844.JPG

000_0937.JPG

In all honesty, if you want to just come get everything right now for $750, I'd be up for letting you have it. I'd include EVERYTHING that I have that's related to this car.

The engine is on a stand sitting right in front of the car, with four intake manifold bolts broken off in the heads :mad:. But I've had it running before, it's a good solid engine. It would be yours, including all the extra stuff that I took off (intake manifold, carb, alternator, etc. etc.)

The old transmission is bad (bearing noise) and is sitting on my back porch. But I have managed to buy EVERY bearing for it that SOA still sells, over $300 worth of them. Have a good trans mechanic crack the case and replace the bearings, and you'd have a good transmission. Also, I bought a good transmission from SUBARU3 and it's sitting on a pallet right next to the car waiting to go in. ALL of it would be yours.

I've got a disgusting amount of OEM NOS parts that I bought on a frenzy last year.

You might wanna sit down for this: I've got the OEM transmission bearings as I said, but I've got motor mounts, trans mounts, balljoints, tie-rod ends, just about all the engine gaskets and seals, shifter bushings, the upper radiator hose, the heater hoses (were backordered from FHI for 3 months), one of the last OEM clutch kits, clutch fork, throwout bearing, a speedo cable, and more.

I bought the LAST water pump SOA will ever sell for this type of EA71. I bought the LAST front rotors for this car that SOA will ever sell (as in I bought the last ones in the country, rechecked the part number later, found it obsolete!)

Just the OEM parts that I bought are worth over $1000.

I'll also throw in my set of 14" Pug steelies that I bought in Jaunary for an extra $100 if you want.

Mods, sorry if this turned into an FS thread. Feel free to move it to the marketplace if you feel you must.

Lemme know if this interests you biffanyus. In case you missed it, come get everything as it is now for $750. You can wait a few more months for me to get the car put back together, but I'll want more for it then.

Wow, I already feel a twinge in my stomach just from making this post. There's still a very big part of me that doesn't wanna do it.

must be nice to have rich grandparents:rolleyes:

Easy dude. My grandparents are all I have left. Both my parents passed before I graduated high school.

I will seriously be one of two people in my known family to get a college degree, so this is a BIG deal for my whole family.

I'm not gonna be one of those spoiled brats that either blows it up with 5k miles on it or smashes it into a tree. I see stuff like that happen all the time at my dealership and it irritates me to no end. I appreciate what I have.

no offense intended.......

gl w/your sale

and yea i hate those spoiled jack @$$es that beat the crap out of there new sti's and evo's bought by there parents. usually the parents pay for repairs too, personally i think its equal fault b/w the parents and the kids:-\

Im not that all mechanically inclined. I would have to pay to get it going which will cost a bit. If you want to get it all up and running and then give me a price, then we can make a deal. Like I said in my first post I really want a gen1 brat, but I do like the wagons as well.

Structurally, the car is sound. There is NO rust in the floorboards or anywhere else of concern to the structure of the body. I can get in the car and bounce around in the seat (I'm 190lbs) and never hear a creak, or feel the body flex, or see rust crumbles fall to the ground. It's a solid car.

The worst bit of rust is here:

000_0841.JPG

There's similar rust on the driver's side, but not as bad.

That would take some work to fix, but I don't think it's impossible.

I seriously wish I could keep this car. I really, really do. I personally think I have a diamond in the rough. With enough TLC, this could be a beautiful car that would easily provide reliable transportation at the same time.

I don't mind putting it back together, in fact, I'll enjoy doing it. It won't get done for quite some time though, at least not for about 4-5 months.

How is the interior looking?? Blue in color or blue and black??. Dosent have A/C stuff on? Working or not?? If I get it in good running condition, I will try to restore her to original as possible. U can come visit her anytime as well.:headbang:

Better plan:

Hide the xt and the 79, get the new car, sell it, invest the money and pull out the sweet old cars again.

You know you want to...

Yeah,I was thinking along these lines too.But we don't have to see his g'folks like he does.Guilt,and all that....but hey if you "sold" it to a friend who would more or less hold it for you untill a little time goes by...

Mechanics and tinkering with cars is something you obviously want to take part in.They'll recognize that as your hobby and appreciate your wanting to restore that classic over time.They don't feel that way now,but they will in a few months,a year,or so.

My opinion. That is a unique vehicle in FL these days.

You can always buy her back from me down the line possibly especially becuase I really want a Gen1 Brat and Im not that far from you. Heres a deal. I get it. In the mean time we both keep an I out for a good shape(no rust) Gen 1 Brat and help me with fixing her up(the brat) and you can get your wagon back.:banana: That will take care of something that we both really want. In the mean time you get your car and make your Gparents happy and I have a neat 70s subaru wagon to enjoy until a brat comes my way. What do you think of that plan?????

Well somebdy please give me the hookup. I want information, information!! But seriously anyone please help me get a Brat. I dont really want to pay shipping so anything close by I can pickup with the help of a friend of mine. Please give me any info on the Brats that you know of close to me. Thanks.......

i don`t mean to be a jerk, but man your asking too much, thats why you haven`t found one yet. now and days if you really want a decent running brat and fast, you have to do quite a bit of leg work yourself, and be prepared to lay out decent amounts of cash. you rarely will find them cheap or free anymore. usually they are far away as well.

who knows tho, maybe you will eventually stumble upon one thats perfect for you, just takes patience, time, and money..............

Yeah,I was thinking along these lines too.But we don't have to see his g'folks like he does.Guilt,and all that....but hey if you "sold" it to a friend who would more or less hold it for you untill a little time goes by... Mechanics and tinkering with cars is something you obviously want to take part in.They'll recognize that as your hobby and appreciate your wanting to restore that classic over time.They don't feel that way now,but they will in a few months,a year,or so.

You're right, you all don't have to deal with my grandparents ;)

I've been very thick-skinned with them for the past four years on this stuff. I've heard it incessantly the whole time: "You keep spending all your money on these old crapboxes..." "You could drive a brand-new car with the money you're putting into those old cars..." (which actually isn't true, but anyway) "Are we sending you to college just so you can be a mechanic all your life?"

It gets very irritating, believe me. The last part is what they're really afraid of: me becoming a mechanic for the rest of my life. Obviously I don't want to be a mechanic for the rest of my life... would I be putting myself through a living hell to go to school full-time and work full-time if I did??? But they can't understand that, and what really irritates me is that it's all about money to them. They simply can't understand that cars are more than just transportation to me, and that I consider doing anything more to a car than what it absolutely needs.

I do hope they open their eyes at some point and let me have my hobby in peace. But the deal is right now that I get the Forester AND keep my Legacy, which I can (and will) still wrench on. So a very amiable compromise has been reached, and I don't think it's gonna lean any more in my favor.

My opinion. That is a unique vehicle in FL these days.

Indeed, and everytime I walk through my garage and look at the only Gen1 Subaru I've seen in years sitting right there in front of me, I realize how painful it's going to be to get rid of it.

Biffanyus, stay tuned. I'll be sure to let you know if/when anything develops, like me actually getting a chance to get something done on the car, making it more sellable.

i don`t mean to be a jerk, but man your asking too much, thats why you haven`t found one yet. now and days if you really want a decent running brat and fast, you have to do quite a bit of leg work yourself, and be prepared to lay out decent amounts of cash. you rarely will find them cheap or free anymore. usually they are far away as well.

who knows tho, maybe you will eventually stumble upon one thats perfect for you, just takes patience, time, and money..............

If you dont mean to than dont be!!! Ive been patient but its fustrating sometimes cuase I see such great deals noware near close to me. Ive gave out two great deals on both of my brats to board members b4 I moved back to FL. Ive been looking the best I know how but Im asking for help just incase someone on this board might have some inside info and a heart on a good deal close to me. Im in no rush but I do miss having one. I appreciate any help and I might ask for alot but its all in context of what I would like compared on what i might get. Im open to any ideas, suggestions or leads to finding something or helping someone with thier dilema. So dont think Im asking for the world. Im just asking to find a decent Gen 1 70s subie, brat prefered but wagon will do. :)