Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how do i test the coolant for hydrocarbons?

bring some coolant to a garage?

and the car has 140,000 miles, the guy bought it after it had 115,000 miles and he said he never had to replace the headgaskets, so he assumed the guy before him did

140,000 miles seems like a long time to go on the original gaskets, but im just looking for some opinions, and how much would u pay for a car like this

the bad:

cracked windshield

couple dents and scratches

kinked hood

the good:

no rust, car came from florida

nice tint

goldies

gab (agx) suspension and apexi exhaust (which i plan on selling)

he had the timing belt and seals done when he bought it

Picture1632.jpg

thanks

-sean

not every one has headgasket issues, so they may be originals. hyrdocarbon test is pointless on this car. i guess you can and if it's really bad it may show up, but these headgaskets typically pass the hydrocarbon and compression tests when they start to fail. that's why so many mechanics screw them up...replacing water pumps, radiators, thermostats multiple times, etc.

that being said, you should be able to look and see visually if it has the newer updated headgaskets on it. down below/behind the steering pump a part of the headgasket protrudes out of the engine. i believe....that you can tell if it's the new style or original just by looking, not even removing any parts. the old style will just be flat headgasket material, the new style will be the multilayer style. if it's that old, it's probably obvoiusly peeling and layered. we should get some pic's of that up...i keep meaning to take some in my garage.

not every one has headgasket issues, so they may be originals. hyrdocarbon test is pointless on this car. i guess you can and if it's really bad it may show up, but these headgaskets typically pass the hydrocarbon and compression tests when they start to fail. that's why so many mechanics screw them up...replacing water pumps, radiators, thermostats multiple times, etc.

that being said, you should be able to look and see visually if it has the newer updated headgaskets on it. down below/behind the steering pump a part of the headgasket protrudes out of the engine. i believe....that you can tell if it's the new style or original just by looking, not even removing any parts. the old style will just be flat headgasket material, the new style will be the multilayer style. if it's that old, it's probably obvoiusly peeling and layered. we should get some pic's of that up...i keep meaning to take some in my garage.

pics would be awesome...btw what would u say is a reasonable offer for the car

i offered him 3500, would u say thats too high or too low? i feel like shes getting a bargain but maybe im just too excited

i think it's about the right price considering it has a cracked windshield, dings and crinked hood. you don't see many RS around, so if that's what she wants then it's a great deal and the timing appears right. as far as a late model subaru it's not a great deal, but the RS is hard to come by. particularly one with some issues that drive the price down where you want it. i would guess it would be a long time before you see another running, driving RS in this price range.

i'd test drive it for a very long time, the headgasket issues don't always show easily. make sure you drive it at operating temperature for awhile. make sure the temp gauge stays pegged right around the middle where it's supposed to (not too low and make sure the heat works well)..basically signs that the thermostat has been removed. if the radiator, water pump or thermostat was recently replaced then that's a flag of sorts.

i think it's about the right price considering it has a cracked windshield, dings and crinked hood. you can always use KBB to value a vehicle, gives you good general place to start. you don't see many RS around, so if that's what she wants then it's a great deal and the timing appears right. as far as a late model subaru it's not a great deal, but the RS is hard to come by. particularly one with some issues that drive the price down where you want it. i would guess it would be a long time before you see another running, driving RS in this price range.

i'd test drive it for a very long time, the headgasket issues don't always show easily. make sure you drive it at operating temperature for awhile. make sure the temp gauge stays pegged right around the middle where it's supposed to (not too low and make sure the heat works well)..basically signs that the thermostat has been removed. if the radiator, water pump or thermostat was recently replaced then that's a flag of sorts.

Can we see a pic of the hood? that has me a little nervous.

Also dont forget to take the car for a test drive in tight circles. On level ground the car should be able to do this with little or no thorttle in a smooth manner. Make sure the tires all match. If not walk away.

nipper

Generally RS's run about $4800-10,000. 98 can be had cheapest due to the dual cam 2.5. Just for a reference I sold my 00 BRP RS with 132,xxx miles for $5500, the body was so-so and the guy flew in from Oklahoma and drove it home. $3500 sounds like a pretty good deal. The was recently a lightly modded 99 Silverthorn coupe that needed a little work (nothing major) that someone brought to my work tryin to sell us. If you are interested pm me and I can see if it still around.

Can we see a pic of the hood? that has me a little nervous.

Also dont forget to take the car for a test drive in tight circles. On level ground the car should be able to do this with little or no thorttle in a smooth manner. Make sure the tires all match. If not walk away.

nipper

hoods not a big deal, if anything i could get a new hood,

i'd like to carfax this thing, anyone know off-hand how much that cost?

Generally RS's run about $4800-10,000. 98 can be had cheapest due to the dual cam 2.5. Just for a reference I sold my 00 BRP RS with 132,xxx miles for $5500, the body was so-so and the guy flew in from Oklahoma and drove it home. $3500 sounds like a pretty good deal. The was recently a lightly modded 99 Silverthorn coupe that needed a little work (nothing major) that someone brought to my work tryin to sell us. If you are interested pm me and I can see if it still around.

oh it seems to me like an awesome deal, but i tend to see the best in things

i figure worst case scenerio (plz correct my spelling) the engine blows and the tranny takes a ************, put out 2 grand..

all together it would be 5500 bucks, which isnt a bad deal neither since we know what kind of drivetrain is in it, plus theres no rust (even underneath) i see 95 and 97 impreza's going for this much will tons of rust and ************ty interiors or whatnot

btw im interested in that silver rs u said u saw, but she doesnt wanna go over 4 grand, well she cant go over 4 grand...i wish u still had that obs available

Picture1629.jpg

u can kinda see it there, it doesnt really bother me or her, but its a little leverage with the price

im also gonna have him put the stock bumper back on, i dont like the look of the jdm one and it has chipped more since that picture was taken

hoods not a big deal, if anything i could get a new hood,

i'd like to carfax this thing, anyone know off-hand how much that cost?

Thats not the point. Its hard to crinkle a hood on a subaru. i am just wondering how and why its crinkled....

Put that with a cracked windsheild ....

nipper

Thats not the point. Its hard to crinkle a hood on a subaru. i am just wondering how and why its crinkled....

Put that with a cracked windsheild ....

nipper

yea i was thinking the same thing, thats why i wanted to get a carfax on this thing..i asked him if it was in any accidents, he said that a tree fell on it when the previous owner had it, but he said everything looks straight to him framewise except the rear window has minor scratches on it from i guess branches..

im thinking that the previous owner replaced the windshield and maybe it wasnt installed right causing it to crack(or maybe the frame was damaged twisted causing it not to sit right)...the crack runs straight from the top to the bottom on the far driverside

just carfaxed it..no accidents or recalls reported up to 106,000

then from 106,000 untill 115,000 theres no information, besides it was sold at an auction

then it starts again for 115,000 that when this guy bought it....so basically that carfax was not a whole lot of help since i wanted to know what all happened when the last guy had it, specifically hg issues

ya well

anybody need a carfax done?

seanski06

you mind running this carfax for me?

JF1GF4852VG821979

i picked up this t boned 97 obs 5sp a while ago for $300. been fixing/driving/transforming it to a rs. got a set of skirts on it and everything. i want to see if the 54k miles was legit along with how many owners it had.

thanks

Jon

ps. if the guy throws in that jdm bumper and its repairable, i`d gladly buy it off you.

seanski06

you mind running this carfax for me?

JF1GF4852VG821979

i picked up this t boned 97 obs 5sp a while ago for $300. been fixing/driving/transforming it to a rs. got a set of skirts on it and everything. i want to see if the 54k miles was legit along with how many owners it had.

thanks

Jon

ps. if the guy throws in that jdm bumper and its repairable, i`d gladly buy it off you.

im not sure if i can link it for ya or not, http://carfax.com/cfm/uucp_viewreport.cfm

your the 5th owner, and the milage is wrong by a little, it went from 28,878 to 21,930 in half a month...so maybe it was just a mistake and should have been 18,878

11/01/2000 21,930 Dealer Inventory

Rhinebeck, NY Vehicle offered for sale

INCONSISTENT ODOMETER READING

if u have the stock black bumper for a swap, i'd gladly sell it...but i wanna make sure i have something to throw back on it right aways.