Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where do I start?

Arrgh. I finally got the gas tank drained and the line cleaned. New fuel pump, so ready to fire it up. Cranked the engine. Noticed smoke from the engine bay. I quick check and I saw the wires to the alt were not hooked up. i had taken them off because I had to move the alt to gain access to something.

O.k. alt wires reinstalled and turn the key....nothing and I mean nothing. Not even lights to the dash. Anyone got a clue as to where to start? An order would be good. See, even those little things you forget can get you.

Tis an 81 wagon 4wd

I agree with Gloyale. Check the fusible links. The alternator output lead is always hot to the battery and the wire may have grounded out when you tried to start it, causing smoked link.

mmmmm smoked link...

Hehe

Back to topic.

When I go to the PAP, I grab the fusible links in the soobs I see. Never had one go out on me, but it never helps to have umm... 20 of them lying around??

BW

No such luck on the little black box. I have two boxes. One is the voltage regulator, The other one I pulled had some goofey wording on the cover like Matsubsta or something. I took the three little srews off the back of that. I found what looks like two little transistor towers in there. Got Plan B?

SCORE!!!!!

yes. Follow the positive lead off the battery. Look for the funky little piece with the cloth wire covering. It is only about 2-3 inches long. Less than a foot off the terminal.

Pics below.

I tried to get the wire connector out. No such luck. I cut a piece of new fusible link wire ( Napa, sppol for less thank $ 6.00) and crimped it in there.

Tried the key and all the dash lights lit up and the engine cranked.

I ran some fuel line right from the pump to a gas can. Won't fire. Then had wife turn key while I put my hand over the fuel filter inlet. Slight suction.

Looks like I might have to elevate the can to get the pump primed? If it runs then I'll reconnect it to the gas tank. Good Plan?

post-20989-13602762348_thumb.jpg

post-20989-136027623487_thumb.jpg