Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone know their VLSDs?

cubastreet

I now have two viscous LSDs, one of which I'm going to put in the back of my 81 brumby.

One I've had for a while, the conical washers behind the spider gears were destroyed, I guess someone had been too hard on it. It's just been sitting in my shed.

I now have another complete diff, but I've noticed the viscous centre is different.

On the one that's been abused, I can put a stub axle in each side and slowly turn it by hand.

The second centre can only be turned if I put it in a vice, and put a screwdriver through the stub axle for leverage. I can only just turn it then.

They both look identical.

Is the first diff cente stuffed?

sounds like the first one is buggered. at least from my experiences with lsd, you shouldnt be able to easily turn it by hand.

that reminds me, i tihnk i need to crack open the rear diff in my impreza, i think the lsd has gone to crap in there as well.

Are you sure thats not an older mechanical LSD or Posi,
it won't be if it's a 4.11 unless them crazy dudes got different options than us US peeps. but i don't think they did in final drives. that should be an early legacy turbo rear diff (don't know if they're called that over there). do you have access to an FSM, the specs would be in there? or check out a legacy board i would think they'd know a good deal about that rear diff.

Cheers for the responses. sr - are your diffs viscous or clutchpack as the viscous ones should tighten up in response to slip whereas the clutchpack should be locked up to a point and then slip.

I'm pretty sure they are both out of early turbo legacies.