Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just got a t leg *UPDATE* PICS 56k GO MAKE A SAMMICH

was lucky enough to find a pearl white 91 t leg that is mint inside and out! needs head gaskets and a new turbo i paid 800! :banana: so questions i have for you fellows since i have only worked on ea82's is.

im excited to start this project. i will get pictures up soon for everyone to see :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

was lucky enough to find a pearl white 91 t leg that is mint inside and out! needs head gaskets and a new turbo i paid 800! :banana: so questions i have for you fellows since i have only worked on ea82's is.

Nice find!

1. what heads can i put on the car for better compression and would i not have to rewire or swap manifolds?

Honestly, there is no reason to change the heads. People making up to 400-some horsepower have not had a problem with them. The car is not N/A, you get better gains elsewhere first. Putting a 3" turboback exhaust is your first step for better breathing (reducing turbine pressure differential, aka letting it breath). My car has no issues with redlining 3rd gear with the exhaust in place. Save yourself work and headache, you'll have to tap the new heads for a oil line and do lots of calculations to make sure everything will work... but its debatable how much it helps. So I'd recommend skipping it.

2. what is a good aftermarket turbo i can buy to replace the stock one (does anyone know what psi the factory turbo ran?)

The best turbo for the money is the Mitsubishi TD05H-16G. There is a version that was made to fit an early STi version, thus fitting the Sport Sedan pretty well, also. You can find used ones on e-bay or Deadbolt Enterprises is your friend for getting a new one. You want to do other things to support this turbo unless you want to start breaking stuff. Factory turbo runs at 8.9 psi at full boost and 7 psi in safe mode.

3. where is a good place to buy upgraded aftermarket cams rockers ect??

Personally I would skip it. You can get Delta regrinds that will help out. This might make sense for you since the heads will be off anyways. But your best bet is to be able to tune the ECU to use these parts. For example, getting a stand-alone ECU will net you in the neighborhood of 100 hp at your flywheel with tuning on your bone stock car. This would also help the car make the best use of the bigger turbo, cams, etc. that you might throw at the car.

im excited to start this project. i will get pictures up soon for everyone to see :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I know you must be excited, I still remember when I first drove mine! Get that car running so you can enjoy it. Lots of power is waiting to be unlocked in this car. bbs.legacycentral.org is your friend for this chassis. There is tons of information on building these engines up, including head hybrids and cam information. You're going to have a lot of fun in this car! I have been researching this stuff for the last 4 years and its quite fun.

The stock internals of the 22t can hold about 25 psi with proper tuning and good flowing heads.

You won't find any other heads other than ej22's that you won't have to swap manifolds with.

To put on most other turbo's VF series will most all bolt directly in place, but you'll have to make the intake parts work.

A turbo back exhaust made for a wrx will work on the car, some of the exhaust hangers won't line up perfect however.

On a turbo motor, generally raising the compression ratio is a bad idea...

The stock computer won't let you go more than 13 psi or there abouts.

A stand alone managment system would give you better control of what its doing. There aren't many availible for these cars, so that will be the hard part. Link use to make one that worked well for them.

Even with that, to run higher boost figures you'll need bigger injectors, you'll need side feeds to work with the ej22 fuel rails, 05+ Legacy GT, Forrester XT, Baja Turbo, and 04+ STi style injectors will work in them.

You'll also want to add an intercooler, Saab 900 intercoolers can be made to fit under the hood, as well as the early JDM wrx "slanty" intercooler, and 06-07 wrx, and Forrester XT intercoolers will fit well.

say i got rebuilt heads, new turbo, reground cams, 3in turboback ex. what would be a safe psi?
You don't need to rebuild the heads or reground the cams, 400+hp can be had on stock internals (as in, never cracking the block to do anything). It just takes a big IC, a big turbo, big injectors, good tuning, and race gas.

i was thinking of buying a JDM ej20tt and dropping it in. would be the cheapest way to go. will it fit?
No. The second turbo hits the steering mechanism. I'm telling you right now, if you want big horsepower, get an EJ257 (USDM WRX STI motor) and boost the crap out of it. If you want to stay true to the Legacy, get some large injectors (550cc) and tune it and get the other stuff I mentioned.

what about a ej20t? im looking and i cant afford a ej257...
You can do the EJ20T. It's been done before and it's an easy swap. The engines are fairly similar and there are a lot more mods for it because that was the engine that came in the first USDM WRX's.

Wow, lots of action on this thread...

Ok, first off, this is the last engine you will ever need. The chassis will retire before this engine does if you don't abuse it (as in too much boost, no intercooling, etc). Stock you can redline it all day and night and change the fluids when they are supposed to and it will be happy for the rest of its life. This also happens to be the strongest block family Subaru has ever made (very hard to argue, but some try).

What I said about the big turbo breaking things is from typical users. They get the bigger turbo... then they want to run more boost which the larger turbo can handle. Silly ECU says anything over 13 psi is a no go, so they bypass that. Then the ECU has no control of overboosting, in fact does not know if its happening... and bad things start to happen. The problem is the ghetto solutions, not the larger turbo. Buying a stand-alone ECU (like an Autronic) and installing larger injectors with the NA fuel rails and getting it tuned are the way to go for that kind of boost. Most don't go that route. Simplified story, but I think you can get the point.

This is your mod list.

1. Full Tune up. This should be the first priority on any car. Plugs, wires, PCV valve, all filters, tranny fluid, diff fluid, etc...

1a. Drop in K&N panel filter and/or modify Snorkus. Look up snorkus if you are confused, its the ducting in your fender before the airbox. Some people take it out, I modified mine to take out the extra bends so it still gets cool air. Some don't like K&N filters, so that or a fresh paper one.

2. WRX 3" turboback exhaust (aka TBE). You will need to redo the hangars, you can lengthen the mid-pipe if you want but it is not necessary. Without lengthening the tip stops about 1" before the bumper does. I like it because my giant 4.5" tip is kind of tucked out of the way.

3. Diamond coilpack & redo the grounds in the engine bay. More making the engine run right stuff. Diamond coilpacks are a little stronger in the spark department. Your grounds probably need a little help, replace/clean as needed. Look up the Big 3 in google for a good idea for helping the electrical system.

4. Start working on the suspension. Seriously, you will have made your car run as good as it ever will without increasing risk. Some will argue for a intercooler, but the car is designed to run without one and you decreased the overall heat in the system by reducing backpressure in the turbo. Intercoolers don't hurt, but its another possible weak link for leaks and popping hoses.

Suspension-wise, the first thing you want to do is replace your tranny mount if its a 5-speed. It has the consistency of a nerf ball by now (seriously!). Group N tranny mount or new will make a world of difference. This along with new tranny fluid can take away any shifting problems the car has also. Sway bar on the front (most important) along with the rear and the endlinks (required) will go a long way in making the car feel more solid.

I wrote this quick, so I'm sure I missed something. I assume reground cams are already installed if you choose to go that route. I wouldn't bother taking the heads off just to get them installed, though.

By the way, you are going to absolutely fall in love with this car!

i have to take the heads off anyway for new HG's. i decided on a TD04 rebuilt turbo. still searching for 550cc injectors. i am going to get a 3in tbe. i am going to skip the cams. FULL tune up and fluid flush were already planed. new t belts. ill grab a new tranny mount, engine mounts. so my main question now is. with this set up can i expect a decend boost in power and what is the most cost efficient way to run my boost past 13psi. im running near the end of my fund :mad: and i wanna give a big thanks for all your input. you all have been very very helpful. :clap: :clap: :clap: