Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i am going to pull a pop up camper , with my 1997 legacy L awd a/t wagon, [ class 2 hitch] every place i go to says something different, that a hitch for a legacy L wagon and a outback are different ? or are they the same ? i was reading here i think that the wiring for the lights is very simple ? thanks

i am going to pull a pop up camper , with my 1997 legacy L awd a/t wagon, [ class 2 hitch] every place i go to says something different, that a hitch for a legacy L wagon and a outback are different ? or are they the same ? i was reading here i think that the wiring for the lights is very simple ? thanks

The Legacy and the Outback are the same platform- the reason they show differences is some cars have the plug and pray harness for the hitch, some don't.

if the hitch says it will fit an outback then it will fit a legacy of the same year. i don't remember the name brand of mine, but i had to drill a hole on each side, up from the bottom, to bolt it up. my hitch connects to the 2 existing 'tie down loops' in the rear, plus the 2 drilled holes into the frame.

i had to remove the carpeted floor panels in the rear of the car to access the top side of the frame member. the floor panels come out if you remove the center plugs in the bottom of the 'socket' on each of the tie downs in the cargo area. the rear ones work slightly differently than the forward ones. i don't rememer the difference , but don't force them, they are plastic.

accessing the frame members was a ' remove the plastic plug' deal, slide the bolt and bracket into the frame and fish it into the drilled hole. i used a coat hanger like a long tool to drop the bolt into the hole.

the wiring is another story. the outback comes with a plug , behind the drivers side tail light, inside the access cover. i don't know about legacy but it's worth a look. then you buy the 'harness pigtail' from the hitch manufacturer for your car and it plugs right in. feed the wire down to the spare tire area (probably before you plug it in) and you're done. hang it out the hatch when you haul something.

the exact harness will cost more, but it is really easy on the outback, the generic harness is cheaper, but you have to buy connectors and spend the time figuring out which wire goes where and then splicing them. all six? of them !! seems like a hundred.

good luck

john

the pop up is only 1800 lbs, the the hitch part is less than 200 lbs, i can move it around my self and almost pick it up my self, you might be thinking about the old style pop up which were pretty heavy , this is a 95 model, my 88 dl wagon could pull it,

Installation will typically take 30-60 minutes, depending on the brand hitch. Installation is farily simple but a second set of hands to help lift and hold the hitch in place would help. See attached .pdf file for reference (from http://www.etrailer.com)

I'm pretty certain you will need to hardwire the trailer plug, that seems to be the indication on etrailer.com, unfortunately they don't list instructions on splicing in the wiring. If your owner's manual has no info on this, see if a local subaru dealer would be willing to make a copy of the instructions for you - (ask nicely ;) )

Or maybe someone here on the board will chime in with instructions...

i would still look for the pigtail plug at the left rear tail light first. if it's not there then this is one of the few real differences between legacy and outback. the consensus here is that all of the wiring is in place on all cars, but trailer hitch connections may be too optional.

Hey Jim, remember that you will need a converter because the turn signals are seperate from the other lights. You could have a fire if you don't do it right. I had me hitch installed but I do recall the guy saying it was a pain because there was some drilling required. Tim

• 2 weeks later...

did a search and found nothing, + went onto the outback board , on the outbacks there is a pigtail and you splice in a converter , but on my 97 legacy L wagon there is no pigtail + would the color wires on a outback be the same ?, any help or suggestions ? all i am pulling is a pop up camper 1800lbs total weight , i can pick up the front end ,so it weighs less than 200 lbs,

Here is what my info says about it.

First off it shows a trailer connection for the years 96-99 so you may look for one in your car.

The brake light is WHT/BLK. The tail light is RED. The left turn is light GRN/WHT and the right turn is WHT/RED. Ground is BLK.

Jim, I'm sorry it raining too hard for me to go out and look

at my 97 Outback

But all my 94/93 Legacy wagons have the connector

you need to splice behind the cover

directly behind (in front of)

the tail light.

The same cover one uses for changing the light bulbs

when they burn out.

Hope this helps, if not I'll check my Outback in the morning.

Jim the red/white wire separated from the main harness

and goes to the other side with the other colors minus the

green/white

May have to look under the rear gate sill plate.

PLEASE follow what Chef Tim said.

The camper will have the stop lamps and the turnsignals

combined into one lamp per side.

Your Subaru will not have this setup.

Trust me on this one you need the "converter" box" Tim speaks of. (Uhall, Napa, Walmart ect will have it)

I pull several trailers with several of my Roo's

• 1 month later...

got it all hooked up , on the converter the green wire is extra long, the reason is because you must run it to the passanger side , blinker, ,for the right turn , biggest thing is to run it though one of the rubber stoppers or hang it out the hatch , but aleast i have it hooked up ,thanks