Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback steering coupler works on 3" lift

WoodsWagon

For those with 3" lift blocks under their EA82 crossmember, you can use the steering coupler (the 2 u-joints) out of an 95-99 outback. The splines seem to match up, it's about a 1/4" longer than ideal, so you have to loosen the rack bushings a bit to get it on. Once you have it slipped over the splines on the column and rack, tighten the rack bushings back up. Slide the coupler up and down between the column and rack to take any bind out of it, and tighten it down.

This means you don't have to cut the stock coupler in half and weld in an extension. Just go to the J/Y and grab one, and it bolts in.

The old saying "nececity is the mother of invention" applied here, my old coupler was seizing, I had put penetrating oil on it and it loosened up a bit, but the seizing + years of abusive driving had trashed the splines in the coupler. I had a bit of play in the steering wheel, and that was the splines moving around. Not good, lucky we caught it before the wheel spun freely.

The only other I had around was the seized one off my mom's outback. Put it in the vice, worked the joints around, and put it in the car. Knowing me, it will be in there a while untill it gets unbearable to turn.

The old saying "nececity is the mother of invention" applied here, my old coupler was seizing, I had put penetrating oil on it and it loosened up a bit, but the seizing + years of abusive driving had trashed the splines in the coupler. I had a bit of play in the steering wheel, and that was the splines moving around. Not good, lucky we caught it before the wheel spun freely.

The only other I had around was the seized one off my mom's outback. Put it in the vice, worked the joints around, and put it in the car. Knowing me, it will be in there a while untill it gets unbearable to turn.

hmmmm maybe you could figure out something for my lifted Ea81 wagon....my coupler siezed(your talking about the little u joint right?) the angle on it looks severe and i got another coupler for it but i lost it...is there anything that works for Ea81? (power steering) thanks -D

perhaps its different for the ea82's but I know for sure that it doesnt help you on an ea81. For every experience where I have tried one of these (I have one longer and one shorter double joint coupler) It binds. Perhaps with powersteering on the ea82s allows less stress on the double joint?

-Mike

This thread may help me fix a problem I have had in my '78 lifted brat. It developed a clunk in the front end. I went the replacement route to find out what was wrong with it. So eventually I have replaced most of the front end. Didn't fix the problem. Jerry (bratrus, I think) thought it might be the coupler just barely hitting as it turned. As things worked out I never got around to addressing it. Now with a little motivation I'll have another look at it.

Just to describe the problem, while driving the car the steering wheel would lock up, and I'd have to muscle it past the tight spot. Not good. It didn't do it all the time, but enough for me to make it take a time out. I'll have a look at the coupler. thanks, dp