Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ?? into a '92 or '93 Loyale

faithless88

Okay as the title says I want to put some kind of EJ motor into either a '92 or '93 Loyale. I'm more familer to Honda and Toyota engines than to subaru but I understand basic ideas on them and some such stuff. What I'm wondering is what would be the easyest to do so? Which motor would make the best sleeper? Which would be easier to do OBD1 or OBD2? And then also which would be a better route a full standalone an add on or just use the stock ecu?

well, it all depends on what you want out of it. and there are many of us who have taken slightly different routes (although I believe the OBD I EJ22e with an RX trans behind it is probably the most common), and all of us love what we got.

the simplest/cheapest option is an OBD I EJ22e from a Legacy. the OBD I wiring is slightly simpler than OBD II, and early legacies can be had for virtually no investment.

best sleeper? EJ257 and a GT40R...I think 500+awhp in a loyale would qualify.

again, the engine management route depends on what you want out of the whole setup. if you intend to keep it close to stock, use the stock management, aftermarket will probably mean quite a bit of work tuning, and some sacrifices in driveability.

Which would be a better performance the EJ22E or the EJ22T. From what I think the 22e would be an N/A and the 22t would be a turbo charged. What I'm trying to do is have people look at the car and say WTF is in that. What about this http://www.jdmsource.ca/v2/product.asp?ID=54 I have known several people that have used them and liked useing them. But on that would't that be an OBD2?

I would like to do the EJ257 with GT40R but I doubt I would be able to afford it anytime soon. But I think I can realistacally get the motor in the link above within a year or so.

Your best bet in all honesty is to find a donor car, that way you will have everything you need at your disposal. Don't fool around with over priced motors and jdm wiring. There is very little information about jdm wiring at large. Find a wrecked legacy either for sale as parts of in a junk yard.

For the $8400 price tag on that link, do you even realize what you could do with that kind of change...

Scenario 1. Buy the 92 turbo legacy in the classified, have it shipped to your door. Fully rebuild the engine, have one of our freindly neighborhood wire conversionists do the wire stripping. Or get a standalone ecu, and injectors, big mofo turbo....

Scenario 2. Buy an n/a ej22 car cheap either wrecked or rusted badly. Rebuild the motor, see above...

Those jdm motor sights focus on two kinds of people. The ones who just want jdm bling factor at any cost. And the ones who don't know any better.

As of now on thursday I plan on going to get the '93 loyale and start comparing the 2 the '93 should be in much better shape than mine if you have seen the pics in the old school area. When I decide on which of the 2 to sell get that in the market and get what I can for it and then go after a donor car with the money made from the sell of the Loyale.

With the earley 90's legacys are they the EJ22E motors?

Is the end goal to make people notice your car? Here's my suggestion.... Lift it:banana:

No really... we have an annual meet here in CO and when I take my EJ25 '88 Rx, no one cares.... I'm the red dog of the old school crowd... with Jeff, and all the other guys are hanging around the lifted vehicles.

Then, when I take my lifted 87 wagon I get questions and people and all sorts just walking around it. Strange, I woulda figured a E swap would be cooler, but the peoples prefer the lifts.

The car with the EJ swap is suppose to look stock execpt for the pug wheels on it an dthe sound that would come from it. More so trying to get people that know the car as I go past and they think wonder what's in it. Not for omg that is recdlious or what a ricer. And more than anything it will be for me and no one else.

dual port EJ22e + borla headers and custom 2-2.25" exhaust all the way back with a nice resonator and a straight through muffler (magnaflow or similar).

or do what I did, gut both cats, leave off the muffler, and rock it stock :banana:

there's a dairy queen right next door to the Domino's where I work. on warm days there's easily 15-20 people standing outside the DQ. when I open it up to jump out into traffic EVERY one of them stops what they're doing and watches me go by.

If you really want to make the looks pop out at people get yourself a set of xt6 rear hub/brake and use ej front hub/brake/strut from a donor car. You'll have to do a rear ebrake mod, but thats covered in the USRM. You'll have 5 lug wheel choice and a damned good selection of strut/ spring options and better handling to boot.

I also want the power to be there I want to scoot down the road at a good pace(within legal limits of course) If I was going for sound I have a friend that has a muffler that changes the sound from soob to something more of a mazda. And much more like a ricer type sound than anything else. I want sound to let you know there is power there other than just sound.

How hard are xt6 to find currentley looking for them.

I have a friend that has a muffler that changes the sound from soob to something more of a mazda.

How hard are xt6 to find currentley looking for them.

Not a muffler he does. The only "cure" for the boxer sound is equal length header... But why would you want to change it?

Rare...

I love the sound of soobs. Namely those of the impreza with the 2in exhuast and you really can hear the sound of the horizontal 4 in it:slobber:If only I could afford one then I would be in heaven. Was driving next to an sti for about 10mins just listening to the exhuast and I was like this-->:slobber: but with much more drool of course.

I love the sound of soobs. Namely those of the impreza with the 2in exhuast and you really can hear the sound of the horizontal 4 in it:slobber:If only I could afford one then I would be in heaven. Was driving next to an sti for about 10mins just listening to the exhuast and I was like this-->:slobber: but with much more drool of course.

that's easily possible on any soob. just need extremely unequal length headers. there are a few aftermarket options for the EJ N/A motors, and you could pretty easily fabricate some for the EA82.

there's a dairy queen right next door to the Domino's where I work. on warm days there's easily 15-20 people standing outside the DQ. when I open it up to jump out into traffic EVERY one of them stops what they're doing and watches me go by.

I don't even want to know how you know they all look at your car when your pulling a maneuver like that....... ;)