Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I picked up my first Subaru recently. It’s a 93 Impreza wagon LS AWD automatic. I’ve done some general maintenance (oil change, new rotors and pads), and am now ready to tackle this next problem… The sound from under the hood. It’s RPM dependant and sounds similar to driving reverse. A whining, revolving, sound that happens between 1.5 and 3 RPM’s. I can still hear the usual engine sound, which sounds nice and clean especially at higher RPM’s. The wining sound completely stops 3 or higher. It does not make the sound during idle (which is making it hard for me to locate) but seems to be coming from the transmission area.

Any ideas on what to look for?

So far I really love this old car and would like to keep for as long as she’ll go. I’ve got 125K right now.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I picked up my first Subaru recently. It’s a 93 Impreza wagon LS AWD automatic. I’ve done some general maintenance (oil change, new rotors and pads), and am now ready to tackle this next problem… The sound from under the hood. It’s RPM dependant and sounds similar to driving reverse. A whining, revolving, sound that happens between 1.5 and 3 RPM’s. I can still hear the usual engine sound, which sounds nice and clean especially at higher RPM’s. The wining sound completely stops 3 or higher. It does not make the sound during idle (which is making it hard for me to locate) but seems to be coming from the transmission area.

Any ideas on what to look for?

So far I really love this old car and would like to keep for as long as she’ll go. I’ve got 125K right now.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Makes noise while driving, in gear, or in neutral sitting still?

Could be power steering pump; they are whiny.

Could be tranny or torque convertor.

Could be any number of things. Idler pulleys, belts, water pump

Any leaks, telltale stains, bad instrument readings, performance problems?

The sound that comes from "the transmission area:

Is that while you are driving, and you hear it through the firewall? That is a nearly impossible way to locate a noise.

Makes noise while driving, in gear, or in neutral sitting still?

Could be power steering pump; they are whiny.

Could be tranny or torque convertor.

Could be any number of things. Idler pulleys, belts, water pump

Any leaks, telltale stains, bad instrument readings, performance problems?

The sound that comes from "the transmission area:

Is that while you are driving, and you hear it through the firewall? That is a nearly impossible way to locate a noise.

It makes the noise while driving. Every once in a while it will make the noise for 2 or 3 seconds when turning on the car, but after that it does not make the noise while sitting still. (I'vel turned it on and taken a quick look). No performance issues, leaks or anything else out of the ordinary. It shifts smoothly and performs as expected.

It seems as if it’s coming from something close to the ground, and sounds similar to a remote controlled car.

It always goes away when the rpm’s are hit 3 or higher.

I have a light whine that comes from the middle of the car when I'm slightly on the gas to maintain the same speed. If I accelerate hard or if I let off the gas completely it goes away. Sitting still, it's not there. AT shifts great and engine pulls hard and all fluids are good. All my drive belts and the timing belt are brand new, all CV boots are sealed new rotors front and back just turned. Mine seems to be speed related and not RPM related. I can't really hear it from inside the car. I noticed it when I had the windows down and was driving next to a long concrete barrier which threw the sound back up at me.

Maybe it's the same thing?

It's on my list to investigate, I just haven't got there yet...

I was guessing maybe a driveshaft or pinion bearing? It's that kind of whiny noise.

Does your noise happen while moving, stopped, or both?

Oh, '94 Legacy Alpine Wagon 2.2L AT 170k

I have a light whine that comes from the middle of the car when I'm slightly on the gas to maintain the same speed. If I accelerate hard or if I let off the gas completely it goes away. Sitting still, it's not there. AT shifts great and engine pulls hard and all fluids are good. All my drive belts and the timing belt are brand new, all CV boots are sealed new rotors front and back just turned. Mine seems to be speed related and not RPM related. I can't really hear it from inside the car. I noticed it when I had the windows down and was driving next to a long concrete barrier which threw the sound back up at me.

Maybe it's the same thing?

It's on my list to investigate, I just haven't got there yet...

I was guessing maybe a driveshaft or pinion bearing? It's that kind of whiny noise.

Does your noise happen while moving, stopped, or both?

Oh, '94 Legacy Alpine Wagon 2.2L AT 170k

I'd say it's more of a whine, definitely not a whistle. It can happen while sitting still if I raise the rpm’s into its “range”. The best thing I can think of to compare it to is the going in reverse noise.

It seems like it make be coming from down in there.

engine.jpg

Not a mechanic, but it seems to me I heard a noise that could? have been similar when a starter solenoid failed to disengage the starter properly. (your arrow is pointing directly at the starter)

But, my gosh, if you have been having this problem for a while, surely the starter would have fried by now if that were the case.

Other thoughts, since it depends on rpms, could it be something loose that is causing a sympathetic vibration?

You may just be hearing the pump from the tranny, which is normal.

Take a wooden dowel. Put one end to suspiscous areas, the other ned to your ear (or cup your hand around the end and put your ear to that). This is the the worlds best stethascope.

nipper

The sound from under the hood. It’s RPM dependant and sounds similar to driving reverse. A whining, revolving, sound that happens between 1.5 and 3 RPM’s. I can still hear the usual engine sound, which sounds nice and clean especially at higher RPM’s. The wining sound completely stops 3 or higher. It does not make the sound during idle (which is making it hard for me to locate) but seems to be coming from the transmission area.

I have a similar noise in my 00 OBW- 5spd manual so I can repeat the issue at will. It happens while decellerating from 3rd gear and the engine passes through the 2.5-2k rpm range. I think it's mostly rpm dependant because it will occasionally do in 2nd gear (same rpm range) but the sound is not as prominent. It only does it while the engine is decellerating. You're right on with the sound, it's a whinning sound, sorta reminds me of a mini Jake-Brake. I also thought it may be a heat shroud, not loose necessarily but as the engine passes through that rpm range it hits the resonant frequency of the shroud causing it to vibrate within that range.

I chalked it up as a subaru thing because before I bought this car (private party) I test drove a 2000 OBW LTD ed. 5-spd and it did the same thing. Not sure what it is. Someone mentioned the intake at one point but I cant remember what thread that was in.

I listened to the noise very closely on the way home from work. It does sound like a metallic vibration. So I put the car up on jack stands. It's definitely not a heat shield. The noise seems like it's coming from exactly where the transmission fluid dipstick is. I checked the fluid and it seems fine.

I think I'll take it somewhere and see what they think. :-\

nipper, what i mean is... is it very dificult to visually inspect it?

btw... thanks for all the ideas/replys

Its one of those things that as soon as a trained ear hears it, they know what it is. Usually for the untrained ear you wait for it to get worse (some noises you have to) to be certin what it is. The harmonics gave it away.

nipper