Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best clutch kit?

I have used exedy and it is funtional, but no more than that.. Chef Tim was loving his Luk the last time he chimed in..

There is also Centerforce ( but she's a spendy little thang )

Mike

:lol: :lol: You beat me to it!! LUK makes a very good clutch, about $200 for the whole kit and it is all new not a reman. I did melt one at the MWSS II but ask anyone who saw what I was doing and it was impressive to say the least. Later, Tim

At one time I used to sell clutch cores to rebuilders. The only company that accepted everything (even the rejects from other rebuilders) was Fenco/Fenwick. They even bragged to me that they rebuilt everything that came in the door. I *think* it best to steer clear of Fenco/Fenwick.

At one time I used to sell clutch cores to rebuilders. The only company that accepted everything (even the rejects from other rebuilders) was Fenco/Fenwick. They even bragged to me that they rebuilt everything that came in the door. I *think* it best to steer clear of Fenco/Fenwick.

Thank you!!!!!! Will file that name for future avoidance. :clap:

Thanks campers. Me thinks I'll go with the LUK. It comes with everything minus the flywheel. None come with that. I've never done a clutch so I think I'll end up at the tranny shop. They told me about $350.00 for the whole job. That doesn't include the parts. They aslo re-do the flywheel too. Apparently, this is almost a must.

For the price of aftermarket clutch kits, I would go with the Subaru ones that were posted in a link above.

My coupe had a Subaru OEM clutch installed 15K before I bought it. Better feeling clutch than any of the aftermarket ones I've driven.

clutch is not hard to do yourself; the "big-seeming" jobs like clutch, or transmission swap, or even replacing one engine with another (identical) are all among the easier jobs to do on a car. All you need to do is put a jack under the transmission, remove the rear driveshaft, unbolt the tranny crossmember from the car, unbolt the transmission bellhousing from the engine, jack the trans up ever so slightly, pull it back away from the engine a little, and then let the jack down. If you don't have four tall jackstands then, yes, it is difficult to do.. otherwise the hard part lies in the muscles needed to reposition the tranny to reinstall.

Just thought I would mention it; I was still a fledgling wrench-boob when I did the clutch in my Datsun, and it helped make a man out of me.

Thank you!!!!!! Will file that name for future avoidance.

Fenco clutches, be they be for a Subaru, or an 18 wheeler, are best left where they are (on someone's shelf collecting dust).

If you were in Canada, Dave @eurodrive is the guy to see for a rebuilt clutch:

http://www.euro-drive.com/

While "doing" a clutch is not hard, from the front, or back, the "trick" is to do it ONCE.