Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC spinning but not cooling

It's been in the high 90s here all week and I had no AC. I jumpered the clutch just to see if the compressor turned and it turned fine. I checked the system pressure and there was none so using one of those r134 conversion kits I repressurized it but I think there may be some sort of blockage as it got to operating pressure with just one can. So now the ac switch will turn the clutch on and spin the compressor but I get no cold air out of the system. Any thoughts on what may be going on? The AC compressor failures I've dealt with in the past have all been of the frozen compressor belt sqealing type. Another thing I noticed is that when the clutch engaged there didn't seem to be any noticiable difference on the engine load? Do AC compressors fail and spin more freely? Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks

Renny

Somethings are better off left to a shop. DOnt just put in the drier and then let them flush it. They may flush it with it removed ( its been years so ive forgotten).

They use liquid refrigerant, which you cant get.

nipper

Well I checked pressure again today and it was low. I think the system had to cycle the fluid through it. I added more today to bring it up to pressure and was blessed with wonderful coldness. Today was the first time in two weeks that I've driven with all the windows rolled up and the radio turned down. It was really nice. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Renny