Ultimate Subaru Message Board

? 6 speed into 1999 legacy? does it fit?

1999roadrace

i want to swap a STI 6 Speed trans into my 1999 legacy wagon, other than changing the rear end gears, will it drop right in?:confused: :confused:

the 6 speed is pretty big. Not sure if it'll fit in the tunnel with out some "mods". There is some other stuff you'll need too, starter, driveshaft, maybe different or modified axels and or hubs from the sti. There's probably more..........

I am also assuming your 99 is a 5mt right now..........

Oh, also you'll have to get or make a center diff controller other wise you will be mostly/annoyingly rear biased.

hydraulic clutch it is pull type like all factory subaru turbo trannys in the ej lineup except the most current wrx..

it also uses its own slave cylinder so make sure it is provided with your box if u choose 2 go 6 speed

What you will need is the following:

Ring and pinion for your r160 rear diff to match 6 speed front, u might luck ut and have a legacy with a 3.9:1 ratio in your rear diff already, that is the most common final drive for 6 speeds but not the only final drive so keep that in mind

Shift Linkage from 6 speed

6 speed clutch, pressure plate, shifter fork, slave cylinder and flywheel

6 speed gearbox crossmember

6 speed front axles..depending on what year you get your 6 speed from your legacy axles might work

drive shaft from an AUTOMATIC Legacy

if u get a DCCD 6 speed you will have to use the aftermarket neetronics or equiv. controller to control the center diff lockup, as DCCD uses STI ABS components to fuction correctly and I have no idea how compatible that is with legacy stuff and even if it is it will require extensive custom wiring

oh and 6 speed gearbox, of course

HTH

Kaz

• 4 weeks later...

Thax that really helps the only things i was really concerned was the fit, the drive shaft, the clutch and the DCCD.:)

by the way do you know of a site i can go to check the specs of my car by VIN?:confused:

What im really setting up to do is STI my legacy wagon. I like sleepers. Once out of California i plan to do the swaps, engine, trans, brakes and upgrades in suspension. Know of any one with parts to sell?:confused: ebay is not much help.

thax again

stefan

There is a guy on sl-i.net doing the swap on his ride right now. Check out the "swaps and conversions" thread over there and hit him up as he's being a guinea pig for ya. I'm thinking about doing the same 6spd swap to my 98 Outback eventually (gotta get finances in control first). As for STi swap goodies, I have a friend here in NorCal who "says" he has a source for ALL the goodies at a very, very reasonable price but I personally haven't gotten anything off him yet, he just told me I should swap to an Sti drivetrain and asked if I knew anyone looking for anything related. PM when ready and willing to visit NorCal (unless I end up going back down the freeway from your area)