Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new gen after market sunroofs?

i have a 02 outback and need some sun. any one install a aftermarket one for this generation yet? how did it go and are you happy with it?

I've installed several aftermarket sunroofs in various cars. I believe that the roof of the century series is wa-aaa-y too curved to accept an off-the-shelf flat sunroof.

I think (although I've never been a professional body man, nor played one on TV) that you have only two viable options:

1. Cut the entire forward roof section out of an '00 - 04 wagon and take the headliner/bezels too and graft it into your car. VERY exspensive, and if done wrong an awful mess forever.

2. Sell your current wagon and buy one with a sunroof.

I have a 2002 Forester without a sunroof.

Shortly after buying the car, I looked into the possibility of installing an after-market sunroof. I looked under (above?) the headliner, and discovered a structural rib crossing the roof, exactly where a sunroof would go.

That rib would have to be removed to instal a sunroof. I've no doubt that many sunroof suppliers would have no problem doing that, but it made me decide to abandon the idea.

The other issue is that few aftermarket sunroofs have proper drain tubes; the slightest imperfection in the seal and you'll have a leak.

My advice: live with it as-is or trade it for what you want. It's just not worth the headache.

Nathan

I agree with Nathan! This, having seen a few leaky after market Sunroofs.Though really cool, I just would'n't want to risk a leak or its consequences.

ya i figured the sloaped area was out of the question but just beond that is flat and i would not need anything fancy just the old pivot style would be fine.

I installed a pop-up 14x32 "Newport" SFC sunroof from http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/ and am very happy with it. 3 months, I think.

It's been through several downpours while driving and hasn't leaked at all.

There are no drains, it's just a 'cut the hole and drop it in' type, but I used an electric metal shear. for the straight cuts. Sabre saws and sawzalls will distort the roof metal, and you want the edge of the hole to be absolutely as flat as possible, so I would recommend a cutoff tool to finish the corners.

It has an easy to finish inner trim. You cut the headliner hole about 2" smaller than the metal roof hole, peel back the fabrick, remove 2 more inches of teh fiberglas backer, and tuck the fabric in with the rim strip.

I expect it may leak over time, but new rubber seals are available. They have been making these for a while and I suspect it's a decent business.

I think the rib mentioned above is not really structural and can be safely removed. It's more of a support to keep the roof from vibrating in the wind. It has to be cut back from underneath to clear the inside frame. I cut it with a pair of tinsnips. Mine is inthe Legacy, but I will look at the Forester also to see if it's the same.

It opens with a simple click and shove, and pinch 2 buttons to close.

It is entirely removeable, but I haven't done that. I just like the ability to get ventilation with the windows shut to keep out traffic noise.

I have a 2002 Forester without a sunroof.

Shortly after buying the car, I looked into the possibility of installing an after-market sunroof. I looked under (above?) the headliner, and discovered a structural rib crossing the roof, exactly where a sunroof would go.

That rib would have to be removed to instal a sunroof. I've no doubt that many sunroof suppliers would have no problem doing that, but it made me decide to abandon the idea.

I haven't had my headliner out to look, but I'm willing to bet that said rib is much like those in the '02 and newer Imprezas, merely there to support the roof skin, not to aid with structural rigidity. IIRC, the bit of steel there in the Impreza is glued in and in no way can be considered "structural." It could be trimmed or removed altogether, with the new sunroof frame there to take up the slack.