Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok soobie died in need of ideas

The EA71 84 dl that I have died as I was driving it for no reason now all it does is turn over. It is like it is not get fire or fuel one. I already had a new ND distributor installed just replaced the coil and still just turns. I know the coil is good. any idea what this is, there is a wire on the primary + side that goes to waht looks like a resistor. and then grounds to the engine. What is this part? Could this keep it from sending fire? I have checked the fuses and fusible links all look good. What else in the ignition system can cause it not to get fire that I could check. BTW if the ECM dies will it cause the car not to start? although I do not think it is the ECM. Would not know how to troubleshoot it anyway.

Hope someone has an answer before I turn this back over to the Subaru gods and let it just rust away

Thanks Robert

take off a plug wire and check for spark. Thats first.

i dont remeber if this thing had a belt or not, its possible the timing belt jumped. Sudden stall and no restart is usually a timing issue.

nipper

all pushrod engines before EA82 i thought? if it is OHV not OHC then you dont have a timing belt.

Check for spark, make sure the fuel pump is working and there are no broken lines.. basically, just check to make sure the carb is getting fuel. If you are getting spark, and fuel.. then something wacky is out, or you somehow blew a seal or gaket that is causing you dead compression on one cylinder??? chances are it isnt that bad though, if you didnt hear anything.

You need spark, (at the right time) fuel, air and compression for the motor to run. no more, no less.

The EA71 84 dl that I have died as I was driving it for no reason now all it does is turn over. It is like it is not get fire or fuel one. I already had a new ND distributor installed just replaced the coil and still just turns. I know the coil is good. any idea what this is, there is a wire on the primary + side that goes to waht looks like a resistor. and then grounds to the engine. What is this part? Could this keep it from sending fire? I have checked the fuses and fusible links all look good. What else in the ignition system can cause it not to get fire that I could check. BTW if the ECM dies will it cause the car not to start? although I do not think it is the ECM. Would not know how to troubleshoot it anyway.

Hope someone has an answer before I turn this back over to the Subaru gods and let it just rust away

Thanks Robert

1. Spark: See if there's spark to the plugs; pull off a plug wire and hold it near the motor, have a friend crank it over. If there's spark then your problem is either fuel, air or timing.

2. Air: check to see your air filter isn't clogged with something. At the other end, check to see that someone hasn't stuck a potato or something in your tailpipe. Well, not your tailpipe, but the car's. :)

3. Timing: no valve timing issues since it's a pushrod motor; only ignition timing to consider. Is the distributor tightened down well, so timing can't slip?

4. Fuel: Non-functioning fuel pump. or a clogged fuel filter. These things have two fuel filters I believe, one by the fuel pump and one in the engine bay. Always carry spare fuel filters and the tools to change them out, with carbed cars.

1.)Not getting a spark, the coil and the disty are new and check out as good but I noticed it was not getting a spark. Plug wires are less than six months old. Like I said on the Primary side of the coil I have a wire from the starter and then a wire to the distributor and then a third wire that leads to what looks like a resistor or something (could this be causing the problem), I checked continuity from the starter to the primary side of the coil and the meter said I had continuity maybe not the best test but I wanted to see if there was a short between the starter and the coil.

2.)Air filter and the exhaust is new

3.)Changed both fuel filters already, How do I check the fuel pump? What I did notice was when I pushed the pedal no fuel was shooting into the carb either

4.)No timing belt, thank God, but the ignition timing was good before it died.

1.)Not getting a spark, the coil and the disty are new

3.)Changed both fuel filters already, How do I check the fuel pump?

A new coil? Is it aftermarket and if so, what brand? I have tried several aftermarket coils and had problems with most. Sometimes the problem was intermittent, on other coils the car just ran like it was on 3 cylinders. If yours is aftermarket, do a search for "jegs coil" to find a good coil writeup.

You should be able to hear the pump come alive when you turn on the ignition--a whirring sound.

EDIT: the thread you want is called "coil problems...what's going on?"

It sounds like a fuel problem. diconnect fuel line at carb and see if the pump is pumping. put line in a jar and have friend turn on ign. also the float could be sticking. if you have fuel being pumped but no fuel spraying in carb when throttle is pressed than something is messed up with the floats.... Bret