Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Redline NS gearoil testimonial

I just had to pass this on for those of us with older Legacy models with a manual 5 speed.

I bought my '91 Legacy wagon about 5 years ago with 93K miles on the odo. I got a pretty decent price on it since the transmission had a minor crunch when shifting into 2nd and the previous owner figured he'd get rid of it before it got too bad (he did tell me it had a crunch even before I test drove it).

I put in the Redline 75W-90NS because of their claim of "friction modifiers" to make it easier for the synchros to work properly. The difference wasn't instaneous but the crunch went away after about two months. I wasn't complaining but I figured I must have been compensating for the gearbox. Either way, the crunch was gone. And it stayed gone until recently.

About a month ago, I had the Legacy in for some work that I didn't want to do myself. With 191K on the car now, I thought it would be smart to have the gearoil replaced also:rolleyes: . I didn't have any Redline so I got some Lucas 75W-90 and had it installed. Less than a week later, the crunch was back. Worse than that, I was getting it going into second, third and sometimes into fourth also.

I had checked the clutch adjustment and it was normal. Today, after using the Lucas gearoil for the past 2000 miles, I drained it and filled it with new Redline NS again. I just took it for a drive around the block! The crunch is gone. Transmission is shifting as smoothly as ever.:clap:

I know this sounds like a commercial, but I can't argue with success.

I had good luck with the NS in my XT-6 as well. Congrats!

P.S. This kind of experience shows the wisdom of using a synchromesh transmission fluid rather than just a differential fluid in a transmission. Put in the Lucas (other brands would have done it, too) diffy fluid and shifting goes away. Put the transmission fluid back in and you're good to go!

I just had to pass this on for those of us with older Legacy models with a manual 5 speed.

I bought my '91 Legacy wagon about 5 years ago with 93K miles on the odo. I got a pretty decent price on it since the transmission had a minor crunch when shifting into 2nd and the previous owner figured he'd get rid of it before it got too bad (he did tell me it had a crunch even before I test drove it).

I put in the Redline 75W-90NS because of their claim of "friction modifiers" to make it easier for the synchros to work properly. The difference wasn't instaneous but the crunch went away after about two months. I wasn't complaining but I figured I must have been compensating for the gearbox. Either way, the crunch was gone. And it stayed gone until recently.

About a month ago, I had the Legacy in for some work that I didn't want to do myself. With 191K on the car now, I thought it would be smart to have the gearoil replaced also:rolleyes: . I didn't have any Redline so I got some Lucas 75W-90 and had it installed. Less than a week later, the crunch was back. Worse than that, I was getting it going into second, third and sometimes into fourth also.

I had checked the clutch adjustment and it was normal. Today, after using the Lucas gearoil for the past 2000 miles, I drained it and filled it with new Redline NS again. I just took it for a drive around the block! The crunch is gone. Transmission is shifting as smoothly as ever.:clap:

I know this sounds like a commercial, but I can't argue with success.

I agree, I have been running the NS for many years in many different roos and it has always been the best. I have also used MT-90 in my older GLs where the tranny & diff have serperate fluids and it works great in them also.

-R

I first ran across RedLine MT90 about 5 years ago on the TwinTurbo.net Forum for the Nissan 1990-1996 300zx's. These guys had been singing its praises for its ability to quieten the tranny and bring back the smooth like-new shifts. I was skeptical until I bought a 1954 MG TF with a really hard to shift without grinding tranny. I drained its fluid and did a refill with the MT90 and the tranny noise was entirely gone immediately. The shifting was greatly improved as was the frequency of the grinding while shifting. While the 50 year old tranny wasn't fixed entirely, one couldn't expect old technology to work like today's. I haven't had the need to put the RedLine in my ZX yet ( too few miles on the old girl ) I certainly will do so in the future when the need arises. The stuff is terrific.

Thanks Ed, I went to buy some tonight and the only store in that's with in 5 miles that carries it was all out. It's all your fault
If you want, I can pick up a case of it for you from the local Bow Wow shop here in Lynnwood. They have the best local price. Case is 12 quarts; I'll split a case with you if you like. I'll be in Astoria in two weeks and can bring it down then.

Along with changing the fluid, replacing the very spongy soft tranny mount with a new one makes a very large difference, too.

I did the mount before new fluid and most of my problems went away with the mount. So both can have a large impact.