Ultimate Subaru Message Board

flashing "put your seatbelt on" light wont go off

I have a 94 legacy and the stupid put your seatbelt light on will not stop flashing. I have checked both drivers and passenger switches in the passive restraint system (aka anoying automatic belts). I have checked the the drivers lap belt switch and even tried to bypass it.

But nothing, the damn thing will not go off. Has anyone had this happen before.

And short of pulling the bulb out has anyone fixed it.

Any ideas I am willing to try.

thanks

i looked under the passenger seat and i swore i didn't see anything that looked like a control box of some sort. but then again i wasn't really looking for one i was just looking to see if there were wires running up to the lap belt for the passenger side belt too.

i will check tomorrow

on our 90 sedan the seatbelt control box is in the trunk - drivers side, towards the front of the car - have to pull the trunk liner away from the side to see it.

the auto belts dont work on the sedan so the box is unplugged to keep the light from freaking - make sure they are in the right position, unplug the box and just buckle/unbuckle them to get in and out. no big deal.

not real sure where the box is on a wagon - havent had my wagon apart enough to locate.

I have an aversion to the stupid audible alarms that tell me to remove my key or close the door. First thing I did after buying my '91 Legacy was unplug the noisemaker. When I did that one of the lights started flashing continuously on the dash. Rather than plug the noisemaker back in or try to work around it again, I just put a piece of black electrical tape over the offending flashing light.:rolleyes: Not elegant, but it works for me.

ABS control unit: under passenger seat.

Seatbelt control unit: in trunk - sedan

RR quarter panel - wagon - should be green in color.

I can get more specific tomorrow, as we have a car similar to yours available... can get part numbers too. Let me know.

Lewis

BTW: does your warning chime sound with the key in the ignition in the on position with the engine off and the driver's door open? NO? Then remove knee bolster under steering wheel, plug in the two wire black connector coming from the steering wheel harness to the corresponding plug and you should be golden... if not, faulty ignition switch? $$$:grin:

ABS control unit: under passenger seat.

Seatbelt control unit: in trunk - sedan

RR quarter panel - wagon - should be green in color.

I stand to correct myself... the seatbelt control unit is located in the left rear quarter panel, just under the LR speaker in a astation wagon. Part numbers are 88013AA011 (metal) or 88013AA050 (green plastic) either will interchange with the other...

Lewis

well im hoping i can get a chance and check it out this weekend. been a crazy week.

so do you think if that thing went bad that would make the light flash. I really want the seat belts to work, i just want that damn light to go off. So unplugging the unit wont work for me.

as in my first post, check the key warning chime wire. that constant beeping when the key is left in the ignition is controlled by a two lead wire directly from the ignition switch. the body of the plug is black and has two spade connectors in it fashioned as a "T" when you look into the connector. this is my 90% guess as to the cause of the light constantly flashing, given everything else is as it should be...

This isn't a joke, I can scan in a copy of the TM (but that won't happen until tomorrow, if you need it. I'll check this post around lunch time) and that stupid plug is part of the seat belt system, and causes the light to blink when unplugged.

Lewis

BTW: does your warning chime sound with the key in the ignition in the on position with the engine off and the driver's door open? NO? Then remove knee bolster under steering wheel, plug in the two wire black connector coming from the steering wheel harness to the corresponding plug and you should be golden... if not, faulty ignition switch? $$$:grin:

I owe you lunch, dinner, coffee or something, for what ever reason that black plug was undone, plugged it back in chime started working and the flashing light went off.

if you ever need anything hit me up.

thanks again

• 13 years later...

I no this is a old post but I seen that this person was having the same problem I am so not sure if 2.5GL is still a member of this forum, but heck worth a shot.... the connector told him to check it is not the black connector that you plug in to check trouble codes is it?