Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A while back, I decided to upgrade my Subie's brake pads, front and rear. I ordered PBR/Axxis Ultimate pads; they're formulated with a Kevlar/ceramic compound and are manufactured by an Australian company.

These pads are just great! I've had them now for about 16,000 miles. They give my Subie noticeably greater stopping power and provide outstanding fade resistance. They've been totally quiet and give smooth, vibration free braking. They're available for Subies from about '96 to current models. While they're designed for high performance driving, you don't have to be a high performance driver to really appreciate them. I highly recommend them!:clap:

http://www.importrp.com/product.php?productid=55185&cat=37&page=1

I have these also and am happy with them. I've had them pretty near their MOT of 932F and they bite even better with heat. They're much less than comparable performance pads, the most similar one being the HAWK HP+

They did turn my wheels black within a month but it doesn't bother me.

Any comparisons with these Axxis pads vs. Performance Friction's Carbon Metallic pads? I have had those on a Neon I used to tow with and they were terrific for that application. I don't need a track pad, but do tow a small boat up and down over the mountain now and then with the Baja.

Hawk HP Plus pads are VERY expensive; a set of front pads list for around $167!!!!! IRP (Independent Replacement Parts), where I purchased the Axxis Ultimates, sells them for $139, whereas the Axxis Ultimates list for $84 but IRC sells them for $42, an excellent price for a primo pad!

The Axxis Ultimates do tend to coat the wheels with black dust but I wash my car and wheels pretty regularly so it's not a big deal.

Besides, primo stopping power and excellent fade resistance are FAR more important to me than clean wheels.

Regarding Performance Friction's Carbon Metallic pads, I'm not familiar with them, but I don't see why the Axxis Ultimates wouldn't work well when towing a small boat. Axxis also makes a premium semi-metallic pad which IRC sells at very good price.

Anyway, Subaru's stock brake pads are(or were in the 2000 model year), imo, crap. When they were removed, they had cracks in them and showed evidence of crumbling. Some of the crumbled pad material had gotten between the pad and the inside right front rotor surface causing a slight groove to be scored into the rotor.

Hm...good info. May have to give those pads a try.

Anyway, Subaru's stock brake pads are(or were in the 2000 model year), imo, crap. When they were removed, they had cracks in them and showed evidence of crumbling
Yes I just put on oem front and rear pads on '00obw with brembo sport slotted fronts and stoptech slotted rears. The slots seem to fill up with brake pad material somewhat quickly; not sure if that's just what happens with slotted rotors or if it's the pads. I do daily commute driving only pretty much, some fairly hard stops but nothing serious at all.

Bluestone, what's with the Citroen 2-CV?

Feelin' masochistic?

Hey, it's almost a Subie, isn't it?........ huh? ........ hello?.......hello?.....are you still there?:lol:

I think the 2CV is a 2 cyl aircooled boxer engine, so give the guy a break!

Yeah, 2 cylinder aircooled, but dunno about it being a boxer.

I love that little car! My first REAL girlfriend and almost wife had one. That was many years ago......farting along winding country roads in the Pacific Northwest, in surprising comfort.....got laid in it, too, a number of times.....ah, those were the days, sigh.......