Ultimate Subaru Message Board

regular gas versus unleaded

I have a 2001 outback. Manual says to use 87 octane or higher. I would like to move to 87 (save a little cash). Been using 89 and found great performance and mileage. Scared to move down. should I or should I not.

Move down without worry if the manual says it can use 87. Keep track of your mileage to see if you are saving money with the 87. Subaru says if a customer has been using premium trying to avoid pinging and stuff, to try switching brands of gasoline.

Also, if you notice issues, it could be due to carbon build up in the heads thereby increasing compression ratio and requiring a higher octane fuel.

Wow! The title of this post brought me back to the days when the BRAT actually could run on either regular (leaded) or unleaded.

I got quite nostalgic, they did run better on leaded... not so fussy and had more power. More knock, but at least you could make a hill and not get honked at.

I have a 2001 outback. Manual says to use 87 octane or higher. I would like to move to 87 (save a little cash). Been using 89 and found great performance and mileage. Scared to move down. should I or should I not.

my legacy runs like crap on cheap regular.. i run 89 and it runs a lot better. it was pinging like crazy with 87.. 89 i don't have that problem.. hell it only costs a buck or so more to fill the tank.

for the 100th time, it says recomended, not required. WHen it says required you MUST use that octane for best performance and to avoid engine damage. Recomended means for best performance to use X octane, but you can use anything else with out fear of damage to the engine. You may have loose some performance.

Since your car is recomended to use 87, the point really is moot.

nipper