Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Doing some upgrades for mom's 98 Legacy L (Pics inside)

Well... I'm finally getting around to it. Her stock brakes are due to be changed, they suck horribly. Lack of braking power caused me to slam a deer in this thing last year. So I finally got her talked into letting me upgrade the wheels and brakes to the ones I have from a Turbo Legacy.

I'll have some before and after shots in a few hours. Wish me luck:headbang:

Ok, I found a ripped boot and no grease on the passenger's side cv joint. I have axles to replace it with. But the exhaust blocks my path the get the spring pin out. And I can't get at it with enough force from the top. Any tips or tricks before I have to go buy some new exhaust gaskets?

Ok, I found a ripped boot and no grease on the passenger's side cv joint. I have axles to replace it with. But the exhaust blocks my path the get the spring pin out. And I can't get at it with enough force from the top. Any tips or tricks before I have to go buy some new exhaust gaskets?

i found with the front wheel off the ground and the trans in neutral (hand brake on and rear wheels blocked) you can rotate the axle to find a position that will work, from underneath. i think on the passenger side you can drive the pin out from above, but i've always done it fron below. a longer punch may help. use a 3/16" punch, nothing fatter.

note which side of the axle you are driving out of. one side has a dimple, you insert from that side, i drive it back out the reverse direction. ie: never going all the way through. i don't know if this is correct.

I suppose I'll give it another good look as soon as it dries out some. Bloody rain...

Thanks for the response.

if you send the rain up to roanoke , i'll come down and do it for you. i came back from vacation yesterday and my yard is dead. brown. toast. i'm not much of a yard guy, but i mean dead.:Flame:

I wish it would rain more... Just not while I'm under a car:rolleyes: The Clinch River here is down drasticly, I'm guessing its a good two feet down from "normal" levels for this time of year. For the first time in my life that I can remember I can see the bottom clearly.

I got the passenger's side axle, brake upgrade, and wheel done. Came in for a snack break.

I ended up yanking off the heat sheilding(rattling anyways) from the exhaust and that gave me clear enough a shot to get the pin in and out nicely.

Alright. So I ended up doing more than I had planned for the day. But it was a nice result that followed so I won't complain. The stock brakes suck, single piston, small rotors. I hit a deer in this car last year because they just wouldn't get me slowed down, plenty of room and non excessive speed, the brakes just didn't do anything.

So I had some of the T-Legacy 2 pot fronts here that I was going to use for a five lug swap on my hatch. But my mother's safety is more important to me than that. And after the road trip in this car Saturday, it was the last straw for crappy brakes.

Before, w/91 LS alloys.

2007_0813car0001.jpg

2007_0813car0002.jpg

2007_0813car0003.jpg

After, w/two "new" front axles and T-Leg brakes and wheels.

2007_0813car0004.jpg

2007_0813car0005.jpg

2007_0813car0006.jpg

And just for the heck of it, 175k and and still going strong

2007_0813car0010.jpg

2007_0813car0009.jpg

Next on the list, some new ngk plugs, subaru wires, knock sensor and front o2. Since all but the plugs are original... And replacing that dented filler panel, paint the wheels, and give the ol' girl a new paint job all over.