Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best Place to buy OEM parts?

I get all my oem stuff from Subiegal.

www.subarugenuineparts.com

I think my plug wires were something like $30 and came within a week.

Thanks Jamal. I checked that site, and they show $11 per wire, after discount, so the same as my local dealer.

Am I missing something at this site?

Anyone, suggestions on other sources for OEM parts? $44 for a set of four plug wires seems steep, but I'm a noob at these things.

The cheapest discount internet dealers I know of all have wires for the '95 Legacy (and Impreza for that matter) for that much or more per wire. So, I'd say that's very competetive. An alternative would be Magnecore wires. I expect that they'll be a similar price, but you'll never have to replace them again. They're just about the only aftermarket wires I'd run on a Subaru.

Thanks Jamal. I checked that site, and they show $11 per wire, after discount, so the same as my local dealer.

Am I missing something at this site?

Anyone, suggestions on other sources for OEM parts? $44 for a set of four plug wires seems steep, but I'm a noob at these things.

Call in the morning or PM Subiegal. I think the price for a box of 4 is different than if you buy them individually (which I didn't even know you could do).

Call in the morning or PM Subiegal. I think the price for a box of 4 is different than if you buy them individually (which I didn't even know you could do).

Me too! Bought a set in January, can't remember what I paid but don't think it was anywhere near $44.

Definitely contact Subiegal. Or call Jason at 866-528-5282.

I bought the same set of wires, for a 1995 2.2l, a year ago, for about the same price as mentioned above, from subarugenuineparts. These are exact same wires as were on the car, marked "Packard Electric", with stainless connectors and boots on the coil side sealed with silicone. These wires are sold individually, although in this case all four are the same.

They also have boxed wire sets with part numbers starting with "SOA" (the set in question would be SOA430Q115 if memory serves). Those are not at all identical to the wires installed at the factory, although I'm sure they would work.

another option is Magnecor wires and never replace them again. they last the life of the vehicle, i install them on nearly every vehicle i own. even on EJ vehicles which are ignition sensitive. in my oppinion and experience they are the only alternative to Subaru OEM for EJ engines. they are reasonably priced, high quality and you'll never need to replace your wires again. i've used them in applications where the user was going through wires every 15,000-30,000 miles (not subaru) and in those cases Magnecors went beyond 100,000 miles and last the life of the vehicle as well. order them from a distributor, not directly from magencor to get the best price. i ordered my last set (an EJ set) from a place in New York off the internet, that's all i can remember.

If you think about it, the POS advance auto wires are like $30 for a set. Wouldn't you pay an extra $15 for the peace of mind that comes with getting genuine parts?

I would never argue that OEM is always higher quality. Engineering and sales simply don't work that way. The engineers make a design, and come up with a spec for each part they need to source. Then purchasers go find parts that meet spec AND that are a good deal. Managers try ensure that the parts purchased are not going to cause warranty issues or other problems. Parts are never sourced because they're the best quality. They're sourced because they're the cheapest that the manufacturer feels they can get away with.

The only time I'd normally really insist on OEM is with parts unique to the car because aftermarket stuff often does not fit quite right.

I would never argue that OEM is always higher quality. Engineering and sales simply don't work that way. The engineers make a design, and come up with a spec for each part they need to source. Then purchasers go find parts that meet spec AND that are a good deal. Managers try ensure that the parts purchased are not going to cause warranty issues or other problems. Parts are never sourced because they're the best quality. They're sourced because they're the cheapest that the manufacturer feels they can get away with.

The only time I'd normally really insist on OEM is with parts unique to the car because aftermarket stuff often does not fit quite right.

you're speaking in broad terms, but in this case you don't want aftermarket ignition wires on an EJ engine. EJ engines are very sensitive to ignition components - plugs and most importantly, wires. aftermarket wires, right out of the box often cause problems with EJ engines. not the case with older EA and ER series vehicles, they can run most without any problems. the EJ engine is a bit of a freak for some reason though and it is best to stick with OEM or possible Magnecor i mentioned earlier if reliability and long term use are for you.