Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My girlfriend is looking for a car and I found a 1994 Impreza 4 door sedan at a local lot. It's FWD only (not AWD), white, nice interior, stick shift, 107K on the odometer. I looked at it briefly this evening when they weren't open, so I don't really know much about it other than that it looks fairly clean.

I don't have any experience with new gen cars (all I've ever had is EA82s). Can anyone comment on this particular model and year? Major problems, average selling price, ect.

Thanks a lot,

Andy

It'll have the ej18, rock solid motor. As long as the car is in good shape, and maintainence records are up to date it won't need much of anything for a while. Figure at about 120K it'll be ready for a timing belt, at that time check the idlers and probably do a water pump.

I wouldn't think of giving any more than $1500 for the car though. They can be found with awd in that price range if you shop around some.

Yeah, I think the 2WD aspect would be my big bargaining chip on this one. And, I have bought a couple 4Runners from this place over the years, so that might help too. Her budget is about 2K, so we want to stay as much under that as possible.

The same lot has a 2 door Impreza sedan for sale. I don't know what year it is, but it has an EJ22 and auto trans, and is AWD. It is much rougher than the 2WD. Interior is dirty, pass side has been hit and repaired badly, needs tires and rear wheel bearings, and mileage is about 180K. It does have sweet AutoZone wheel covers, though:lol: . They told me $1500 for that one, as-is, which I of course was not about to pay. I'm sure they could have been talked down but I didn't persue it because I knew I could find a nicer one that wasn't ridden so hard.

Thanks for the comments, gives me a better idea of what mindset to go in there with when we test drive it.

And wow- so far this thread is Virginia and West Virginia only...

Andy

I think your lot is banking on the Impreza getting *almost* 30mpg:rolleyes:. Happens here all the time--I saw a couple original English minicars--an Austin mini and what looked like an older Morris hauled out in peoples' front yards trying to sell them off:grin:.

I just got my 93 Imp 4 door sedan legal and have been driving her everywhere...I ...like you ...have only had EA82s and my ER27..and to tell you the truth...for the most part I really like my Imp..she has a couple things that need addressed ASAP...but..226K miles..runs fantastic!Even though Pheebie is an EJ18 AWD ..she gets great gas mileage..handle wonderful ( not as good as my XT6 though). From what I have learned about mine...rear suspension....seems many have to replace it but its easy honestly...and the shifter linkage and tranny mount...I thought my 92 Loyale had a sloppy shifter.

Little things like the no cup holder thing you may still have..but for a little car its really roomie...quicker than you would think..and easy to get parts for and fix.

I cant help you on what to pay since I got mine for free..but I can say its a good choice

Well, the thread is no longer strictly VA-WV... but it's still all east coast :)

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will probably go over and test drive it tomorrow, and find out what kind of unreasonably high price they want for it :grin:

If you want to talk about unreasonably high prices for Subarus... online I found a 1988 GL automatic wagon in Charleston, WV, at a used car lot. 46K original miles. Had me excited, until they told me they wanted $3500 for it.

I think I may drive my cherry no rust Arizona '85 GL down there and explain that I paid over $1000 less for it, and it's not an automatic.

Thanks again,

Andy

Well, the thread is no longer strictly VA-WV... but it's still all east coast :)

Okay, okay! Happy now? :banana:

Seriously, stay cool when you go look at it and keep looking around online. The "right" car is out there somewhere and it'd be worth a roadtrip to go get it.

Aloha--and good luck.

Well, they want $2250 for it, which isn't too unreasonable. We drove it, and it is a very nice car and extremely clean. Cold AC, lots of power (for a 1.8, anyway). Will need two tires within a year but everything else looks good. Still has manuals, tool kit, ect., and looks like it was probably dealer maintained. And mileage is 105K, not 107K like I said before.

GF is thinking about it. I wouldn't want to pay any more than 2K for it, and hopefully less, but it's a possiblilty. I have bought a couple 4Runners from the same lot over the years, so they know me and might cut me a deal.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, they have been very helpful.

Andy

to get an idea of what the car is worth check the following:

http://www.nadaguides.com/

http://www.kbb.com/

I prefer the first one because it will give you several prices depending on the condition of the vehicle.

Use the prices listed as a basic guideline - adjust up or down as needed for the condition of the vehicle you are looking at.

Just to give you an idea....looking up a 94 Impreza 4 dr "L" model in Wisconsin the average retail price is $2000. May be higher or lower in your area.

I did check the KBB. Their price was right in line with what they want for it (about $2200) and the private sale price was $1750 or so. I didn't check NADA but will do so, thanks for the link.

When you go to sell that car, you'll get a grand for it. You will be fortunate to get more. Keep that in mind.

Good point. I was guessing 2WD Subarus don't hold their value well. But, because it's going to be my girlfriend's car, it will most likely be maintained and driven until it's absolutely dead. Resale isn't that big an issue in this case. She just wants to get a car and drive it, not do the "car of the month" like I do.

Thanks,

Andy

I did check the KBB. Their price was right in line with what they want for it (about $2200) and the private sale price was $1750 or so. I didn't check NADA but will do so, thanks for the link.

Good point. I was guessing 2WD Subarus don't hold their value well. But, because it's going to be my girlfriend's car, it will most likely be maintained and driven until it's absolutely dead. Resale isn't that big an issue in this case. She just wants to get a car and drive it, not do the "car of the month" like I do.

Thanks,

Andy

IMO Edmunds.com gives much more realistic prices for quick sales.