Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water In Sealed Headlamp Unit

'86 GL-10 wagon.

I have about 1.0" - 1.5" of water sitting inside the "sealed" headlamp assembly, and condensation all over the inside of the lens.

What should I do - replace the whole unit with one that has an unbroken seal? Or is there a way to get all the water out and re-seal it?

I don't want to "un-stock" the car in any way.

Thanks in advance.

Subarule

Well since there sealed beam. Then i would just go buy a new one! Because how old are they, Plus it's just like a light bulb. Some time soon it will blow out.

As for just fixing it. IDK? I would have to see a pic of the glass and metel housing. So i can get an idea.:)

GL-10 shouldn't have a sealed beam as you're describing. It has the composite lenses. (A sealed beam is a headlight that you can purchase in one unit as lens and bulb)

Many have tried baking the lens to separate the two halves, then resealing the two halves together.

Like mike said shouldn't be a sealed beam inb a GL. they should have a lock ring that turns and comes off and then then a bulb that pulls out the back. then drain the water and look for rock holes, cracks or better - just replace the lens fron a scrap yard they're hard to seal I knbow people who've tried :-\

For the Composite Headlights on Loyales, This is a -Temporary- Solution:

Remove the Composite Headlamp from the Car (Just Unplug the Bulb`s Wire, Remove the Bulb and then you`ll Find Four nuts of Nº 10 Wrench; Unscrew `em and Pull Out the Headlamp with its Metallic Base & Springs, is very Easy) Then, you can turn it over in order to get out the most of the Water.

Then, Place the Unit in the Floor, next to a 110 Volts X 100 Watts Household Bulb for around Four Hours or More. (I leaved it all night long) The Household Bulb`s Heat, will evaporate all the Remainin` Water / Moisture from the Headlight Unit, thru its opened Bulb`s Hole. Be Careful!!!, the Headlight unit and the Household bulb should be Very HOT! ... Handle with care, I suggest to wait around 20 minutes after disconnecting the power from the Household Bulb.

Then just put back again the Composite Headlight unit to the car, and Replace the 9004 Bulb with a New one (I Strongly suggest to Replace both 9004 by a Better performance 9104 Bulbs) The new bulb shall came with fresh rubber sealant, to prevent Water / Moisture to get into the Unit Again.

Why I Writed "Temporary" ? ... Well... it is due to the Fact that if there was Water, the Metallic Mirrors inside the Headlight unit, shall be under the attack of initial Corrotion, or can be Already Rusted... and Rust can continue, makin` the Headlight to Perform Poorly; and Also the Water infiltration on the Headlight might be Not Only due to the 9004 Bulb`s Rubber Salant, it also can be due to a Micro Failure on the Glass` Assembly of the Headlight.

But Still its Worth to Try.

Good Luck! :burnout:

(A sealed beam is a headlight that you can purchase in one unit as lens and bulb)

Yes, that is the one I mean/what I have.

First my nephew, who's big into auto repair (racecar guy) looked at it and said "sealed beam".

Then I had a guy at a local, long-time-in-business parts store physically take a look at mine and he said it was a sealed beam. He's an older guy and maybe one of the owners of the store (they have 2 locations in town) and seems to know his business.

Next I called the local Subaru dealership and talked to someone in the parts department, gave them my year/make/model and they said sealed beam also, and gave me a part #. They want $85.00 for a new one.

The local wrecking yard will sell me a used one (sealed beam) for about $100. Hah!!

It's the rectangular one here:

http://www2.partstrain.com/store/products.php?year=1986&make_text=subaru&model_text=gl&category=body_electrical&subcategory=headlight

Would a composite unit look like those?

Subarule

If that's the case, go to an autoparts store and just get a generic H4 head lamp. $15, and it won't leak. $85.00 is a ridiculous price to pay for a sealed beam.

What's confusing is GL-10s come stock with the rectangular that have a separate bulb from the housing. Only the DL EA82s came stock with the H4 sealed lamps.

I don't know why you'd want to try and reseal a sealed beam when they are dirt cheap to replace.

If that's the case, go to an autoparts store and just get a generic H4 head lamp. $15, and it won't leak. $85.00 is a ridiculous price to pay for a sealed beam.

I know, and that's what I was trying to do, and the auto parts place I went to said it was a sealed beam and that they didn't carry them to fit my Subaru, so I was thinking it was another case of having to get OEM.

I don't know why you'd want to try and reseal a sealed beam when they are dirt cheap to replace.

I didn't want to, I'd rather replace than fix. But when I was getting quotes of $85+ to replace, you can see why I was thinking maybe repair instead.

I have the part # from the dealer so I can check for a direct change-out on Internet parts sites.

Subarule

you have the quad headlight setup like this:

800px-Subaru-DL.jpg

Those are sealed beams. They are readily available at wal mart or auto parts store; most stores (not wal-mart, they are the devil anyhow so please go somewhere else ;)) have a book or a little computer on the light bulb aisle to help you look up the bulbs for your car. I would suggest pretending it is a DL instead of a GL-10 just to get the right part.

The GL-10 SHOULD have headlights like this:

764991.jpeg

That is a photo of what is allegedly an 86 GL-10 wagon. Both found thru google image search, so no clue whose cars they are... But that is the composite headlamp, with a separate bulb, that was described at the beginning of the thread.

The GL-10 SHOULD have headlights like this:

764991.jpeg

That is a photo of what is allegedly an 86 GL-10 wagon. Both found thru google image search, so no clue whose cars they are... But that is the composite headlamp, with a separate bulb, that was described at the beginning of the thread.

Yes, that is exactly what I have. So a composite for sure is what I need to replace mine?

That looks exactly like my car, including the luggage rack. I have the white rims, however. What are they called?

Subarule

Ok so you have Halogan! Just like my Loyale! Well then you don't need to buy a new light assembly! Just take off the 4 nuts that hold the light in. Which are right there. You can't miss them. Then once you took those off the light should pull out! But you will need to take your corner light out too! That's really easy. There's one scrwe on top that is conected to the headlight. The there's one more on the outside but the amber light part. So after you take that off. And you took the 4 nuts off the light assembly then it should just come out! Please make sure you unplug the bulb before you try to take the light out!

Then after the light is out there should be 2 clips, One on each side of the light. Just pop those off and then you will need to take a plane scrwe driver and pop the glass off the metel housing. It will be a little stiff but just keep going. Once you have the glass lens off wipe it out and what ever you want. then take some clear cylocone or clear Winshild glue and apply that to the seal on the glass part then push the lens back onto the metel housing and make sure it's really nice and tight. Let it sit in the sun for a few. the reinstall it. And it should not let or get moister in it.

I did that to mine and it really worked great!

But if you just want a new one. Go to http://www.Rockauto.com And it will be alot cheeper the the dealer! It will be under extirior parts. And if they don't have it listed for the GL-10 then just go to the Loyale area and it will be the same!

Hope i helped you, Tom..............:)

Ok so you have Halogan! Just like my Loyale! Well then you don't need to buy a new light assembly! Just take off the 4 nuts that hold the light in. Which are right there. You can't miss them. Then once you took those off the light should pull out! But you will need to take your corner light out too! That's really easy. There's one scrwe on top that is conected to the headlight. The there's one more on the outside but the amber light part. So after you take that off. And you took the 4 nuts off the light assembly then it should just come out! Please make sure you unplug the bulb before you try to take the light out!

Then after the light is out there should be 2 clips, One on each side of the light. Just pop those off and then you will need to take a plane scrwe driver and pop the glass off the metel housing. It will be a little stiff but just keep going. Once you have the glass lens off wipe it out and what ever you want. then take some clear cylocone or clear Winshild glue and apply that to the seal on the glass part then push the lens back onto the metel housing and make sure it's really nice and tight. Let it sit in the sun for a few. the reinstall it. And it should not let or get moister in it.

I did that to mine and it really worked great!

But if you just want a new one. Go to http://www.Rockauto.com And it will be alot cheeper the the dealer! It will be under extirior parts. And if they don't have it listed for the GL-10 then just go to the Loyale area and it will be the same!

Hope i helped you, Tom..............:)

Yes, you did help a lot. I'm going to print out your instructions. Thanks,

Subarule

i have had good success with fixing these composite lights, they corrode between the glass and the backing structure, also check for small BB size holes in the lens caused by gravel strikes , i seal them with clear silicone rubber, for the seal around the glass i use a wire welding brush or better yet a wire cup brush in a cordless drill. you can get a cup brush at walmart for under 4 bucks. after cleaning the seam i use silicone rubber and use my finger to smear it around the seam, i used a blow drier for about 15 minutes to dry out the Len's . if the lens isn't too far gone it should last a long time, Ive had my one fixed for about 4 years now

Whichever kind I have, if a replacement is under $35.00 or so for the whole gizmo I will just replace it, and the one on the other side at the same time. I like to keep sets of things matching & of the same age. It's easier for me to keep track of what & when something was replaced. I don't like addressing the same problem more than once when it's something that should last for decades. Also, the lens housings that face out are probably all scarred and abraded...I'll like having two shiny new ones.

From my reading on here it looks like replacing the headlamp is not nearly as expensive as I first thought. While I don't mind spending money keeping my faithful Subuddy up to par, I don't believe in overpaying for something either, so I will do plenty of price-comparison shopping on the Internet.

I really appreciate all the input I received about this. I'll be back with lots more questions. I have so many niggling things to address on my 21-year-old car.

Subarule

Yeah you CAN'T get a new light assembly for $35.. You can buy new bulbs for about $20's $30's. But the light assembly is about $240 from the dealer.

Now if you go to Rockauto.com it will only cost $100 and something..

And about any other questions, Don't be afride to ask! There's no dumb questions in the auto or Subaru world:)

If there's a pull it yourself salvage lot near you try them. a headlamp assembly here is about 20$ do it yourself. way cheaper and you get to practice taking them out so if you mess one up go find another before you tear your car up putting them in :grin:

Well yeah if you can find one i the J-yard that doesnt leak that's great!

And there's no way to mess up anything takeing it out and putting it back in! I just did it today again because i bought a brand new one and it get's moister in it! So i had to seal it with some clear RTV stuff. Hope it works this time!

Anyway i think he can do it! It will only take a few minutes if you have a 10mm ratchet wrench! But if your stuck with a regular 10mm wrench it will take about 20min.

Best of advice: Go buy your self a 10mm ratchet wrench! It will save you sooo much time.:)

Well yeah if you can find one i the J-yard that doesnt leak that's great!

And there's no way to mess up anything takeing it out and putting it back in! I just did it today again because i bought a brand new one and it get's moister in it! So i had to seal it with some clear RTV stuff. Hope it works this time!

Anyway i think he can do it!

He is a she, a retired little old lady.

It will only take a few minutes if you have a 10mm ratchet wrench! But if your stuck with a regular 10mm wrench it will take about 20min.

Best of advice: Go buy your self a 10mm ratchet wrench! It will save you sooo much time.:)

I probably already have one.

Subarule