Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"New" 92 Loyale

Hi, all

Finally found a replacement for "white&rust" 84. Decent 92 4wd 5speed. I asked a few questions earlier and inadvertently posted to new gen forum. Got good answers but still have a couple of mysteries to solve. Now don't laugh, but WHERE IS THE HORN LOCATED??? I can't see it, I know it should be attached to the rad support or nearby. It doesn't work, the fuze is good, so I seriously think it's been removed. (The car has recent paint and bodywork) The other question is (are) what color is the horn harness, where is the diagnostic connector on a 92, and what is the readout procedure? (I have a Haynes EFI book with codes but their procedure doesn't compute) Along those lines, a schematic would be invaluable to me. Lastly, your suggestions for a service manual better than Haynes? Thanks up front 'cause I know you people will tell all:)

WHERE IS THE HORN LOCATED??? I can't see it,

Remove the front bumper. Then you can see them, one near each end. I believe there is a relay involved also.

where is the diagnostic connector on a 92, and what is the readout procedure?

This is pre OBDII. Under the steering wheel there is a plastic panel that goes almost to the firewall. Remove it. There is a about 6" x 8" box that is the ECU. On the front edge is a hole. Get the angle right, and you can see a red LED. It blinks the trouble code (if any).

a service manual better than Haynes?

There is no substitue for a factory service manual. I have an 86 & a 90. Best bet to get one is probably ebay. There are some minor differences between different years.

Dave, thanks for the info. I certainly agree there's no substitute for the FSM (Have 'em for my other toys) and I'll try to get one. I was afraid the horns might have been down there as I found a disconnected 2-wire plug with the wires heading in that direction while I was installing a new park/turn light assy. on the driver's side. Still didn't work. Anyone care to tell me where the relay(s) are? And the diagnostic connector?

Many thanks, folks. Last but not least, why is the rear wiper motor as corroded and frozen as the one on my 84, yet the tailgate on this car is not rusted at all? Must be a way to seal the shaft on these things?

Mine froze up on me after this last winter. Ended up soaking the shaft with some pb blaster and working the wiper by hand for a while with the motor on and it eventually freed up and now moves as fast as the fronts. I plan on putting some kind of grease on the shaft under that cap to try to keep out any moisture.

-Doug