Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got in the car this morning and the fan won't blow! No heat, no defroster, no a/c, no nothing! The a/c switch will turn on and the motor bogs down a little, so that seems like it's working.

Is the heater fan used for a/c as well? I checked the fuses under the dash and they're fine, so I'm guessing that the problem is either the fan or the relay. Where are these located? I downloaded the FSM but it doesn't seem to say anything about the environmental controls.

98 Impreza.

I think the blower motor is sort of under the dash/behind the glove box area on the passenger/right side. Does it not work on any setting? Sometimes the blower resistor goes bad and then it will work on the highest setting only.

If you can find it maybe try tapping it and see if it comes on. Maybe see if it is getting power to it. There is only one blower.

I think the blower motor is sort of under the dash/behind the glove box area on the passenger/right side. Does it not work on any setting? Sometimes the blower resistor goes bad and then it will work on the highest setting only.

If you can find it maybe try tapping it and see if it comes on. Maybe see if it is getting power to it. There is only one blower.

It doesn't work on any combination of fan speed or vent setting. I'll take a look behind the glove box and see what I can see.

Not sure what the problem was, but it's working now. Found the power connector and at first didn't measure any voltage, then later I did, then I didn't again. Took the motor out and connected directly to the batter and it worked, so I put it back together and it's working again. Maybe one of the wires has become fragile or something.

The blower motor is the last thig in the circuit. The first is the blower motor relay, then the speed switch, then the resistor block, then the motor.

It can be a couple of things. The first is the realy. The most likely is that the brush in the blower motor got stuck. This means that you will need a blower motor. Next time it happens check across the blower motor for continuity. Next hit the blower motor hard with your hand, and check again.

If this is what it is, it will happen again. It means the brushes are at the end of thier lives.

nipper

Or it can be that :P[...]

You had it right the first time, Nipper; the blower will work on high speed even if the resistor is open. The "problem" is that two people with different symptoms are posting in this thread. The orginal poster, eryque, has a blower that doesn't work on any setting, while the second one, insane_enasni, has a corroded resistor and is experiencing high-speed-only operation.

You had it right the first time, Nipper; the blower will work on high speed even if the resistor is open. The "problem" is that two people with different symptoms are posting in this thread. The orginal poster, eryque, has a blower that doesn't work on any setting, while the second one, insane_enasni, has a corroded resistor and is experiencing high-speed-only operation.

i thought they were trying to make me crazy (ier)

nipper

What a coincidence, I'm having the same problem with my wife.

:lol::grin::lol:

she only blows on the highest setting? (lord i apologize!) :lol:

just to be clear, eryque had a problem. i've gotten lots of very helpful advice on how to fix it after it stopped being a problem :)

i'm sure insane_enasni appreciates the help too :)