Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GCK half shafts

cleelum

Thanks for posting this, I just ordered two for my hatch!

They have a good catalog on the site.

http://www.gck.com/

The catalog does not list a half shaft for my '87 RX, the earliest listed is 88. Does anyone know if these ('88) will work or am I out of GCK luck? I called Autozone and they said that Duralast is the only one available for my car. Duralast just SOUNDS like cheap chinese crap. Should i go to subaru for these?

Thanks,

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All manual turbo's are the same axle. A manual RX uses the same axle as a manual turbo wagon, or a manual turbo XT.

I don't beleive there were 3AT RX's, so that's a non-issue.

4EAT RX's use the same axle as well - 25 spline inner joint EA82 shaft.

So basically all RX axles are equal. And they are the same as all 4EAT (only came on the turbo) and Manual Turbo's. All used the 25 spline axle.

The only turbo's that this doesn't apply to would be the 3AT turbo's.

GD

So basically all RX axles are equal. And they are the same as all 4EAT (only came on the turbo) and Manual Turbo's. All used the 25 spline axle.

The only turbo's that this doesn't apply to would be the 3AT turbo's.

GD

Thanks a lot GD. Sorry I forgot to add this is a 5mt car. I will just tell the guy at autozone I have an 88 rx then.

• 1 month later...

OK,

So I am living up to my name and being very lazy about installing this new axle. Here is the question I have:

Does anyone know where to get good axles for an ea82 turbo car??

I just called autozone and they said the only axle they carry for this car is Duralast. According to Autozone GCK part # SB-8005 (I got that # straight from the GCK catalog) is no longer available. The guy at napa had never even heard of GCK.

PAP time?? or should i just bite the bullet and get a duralast. I also found Cardone, has anyone used these?

I apologize if I am beating a dead horse but I cant find a good axle!

They are still sold on amazon. This is a N/A front axle, you'll have to look at the compatability chart to find a turbo one.

http://www.amazon.com/GCK-Industrial-SB8004-Front-Wheel/dp/B000FF8S0E/ref=sr_1_1/104-2821296-6495167?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1193785732&sr=1-1

However, the quality of GCK axles may have come down recently. They are still brand new axles, not remans, but I have had one outer joint grenade on the street, and one inner joint that vibrated from the day it was new. The outer joint had it's race crack in half, the boot was not torn, and the inner one had it's bearings disentegrate, and a shard of the bearings poked a small hole in the boot from the inside. The grease was still good and black inside, just full of hardend steel grits. I think both may have been manufacturing defects. The chinglish directions on the box make me suspicious too.

spline count is the key....

from their site GCK says that the parts needed for the 1988 XT6 5spd MT FT4WD = SB-8016 on all four points. *OR am I a dork* and think this is only about the fronts?

Anyone wanna say yeah/nay/chew the cudd?

[edit as of 1:33pm thursday]

amazon has a list for these as fronts and nothing about rears..... great now what about the rears folks?

/sits back down paitiently awaiting wit &/or wisdom :>)

• 2 months later...

Just brought home two BRAND NEW EMPI axles for my EA81. $59 each, no core. I'll be posting about them soon with pictures. Like the GCK's they are 4WD spec, and ISO certified (and unfortunately made in China).

Seems like the GCK's just aren't availible anymore. EMPI is known for quality parts in the VW world, and a couple years ago branched into the CV shaft world, and has a whole line of them.

See here for information. You can lookup all their parts in the online catalog and any EMPI dealer can order these. Should be as much or less than the GCK's and hopefully the same quality or better.

http://www.empius.com/2008_driveaxles/drive_axles.html

Here's the catalog pages for Subaru:

http://www.empius.com/2008_driveaxles/driveaxles_pg22.html

http://www.empius.com/2008_driveaxles/driveaxles_pg23.html

GD