Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

HUZAH!

It started :D

I took a look at the points, notice it was just 2 screws and one wire... But that wire was frayed and not connected right. I replaced the points and reconnected that wire properly and it started right up!!!

Right now, its actually running BETTER than my '78 Wagon was! Its not backfiring, not making smoke (other than the burnoff from the hole in the muffler), not hesitating much (a little with slight throttle input, but revs VERY well!)

So, I guess I wont need a motor right away :D

Oh, and sorry about the lack of video of it starting up :(

My video camera has been having trouble this year... The lense seems to go in and out of showing an image, but now its 100% gone :(

I'll see what I can do about fixing it or borrowing someone elses camera...

I figured you were close to getting it running. As you run it more, it should get better, the hesitation might go away on it's own. The accelerator pump in the carb is probably dried out from sitting, it might swell up from the gas and work better. You might have to change the fuel filter again from all the junk in the lines and tank working its way free. Might want to check the timing too.

Day 7 (well its not really days at this point, but Ill stick with it)

I drove it!!! :D

I drove down the driveway into the court and around and back up. Parked on the street a second so I could clean the driveway under the car of all the dirt that came off of it, then put it back up.

I realized at first, there were no brakes! :eek: I checked the fluid and it was empty, so I filled it up and pumped the brakes a few times and much better *whew*

The shifter is really loose, needs some work for sure. Could probably use a new clutch. The rear tires hit the fenders of course on bumps (but I was driving carefully at this point anyhow). Steering is tough at low speeds same as the Wagon... Otherwise drove ok, but its not like I went more than 5mph anyhow...

I also took the liberty of removing the bumpers and rear tail lights/reflectors/etc. and covering up some of the holes that were exposed that shouldnt be to keep the rust from getting worse at those spots.

I have to say, without the bumpers on it looks more 510-esque in the rear than I expected.

Anyhow, couple pics from today... Once again, sorry about the lack of video, but the video camera lense is 100% gone now:

ff1day7rear.jpg

ff1day7side1.jpg

ff1day7side2.jpg

ff1day7front.jpg

Alright, time for my first official Design Photochop :)

I went through, cleaned up some things, plus tried out some different paint colors in spots to see how it looks... I plan on going with black accents in terms of paint color, with the Satin white, but of course none of that is set in stone right now.

Let me know what you think...

testinggraphics.jpg

Here is the photo it was based on for reference...

ff1day7side1.jpg

Looks great. Will look better stock. Peugeot wheels look out of scale; they're from the wrong era. Just sayin.' You got a vintage charmer here. Let the charm shine through!

BT:)

I agree about the pugs. They are cool wheels but i think they are a bit too new for this ride. Find some 70s 13" mags to put on it and it would look sharp...and you wouldnt have to mess with the rear fender lips. But then again your car so of course you dont have to listen to me :). Lookin good and again congrats on getting it up and running.

Not a fan of chrome or steel wheels, so don't expect to see either of those on the car...

I can't really keep the chrome anyway, several chrome pieces are in bad shape (the side blinker front and rear chrome has corroded underneeth a little, it will need to be refinished) or missing (the front right trim piece is gone completely, and the bolt holes for all the side trim have some rust, they will need to be removed and Ill probably have the holes pluged/repaired so ill just go with some black rubber/plastic/vinyl strips or something of that kind instead).

I still havent decided on wheels guys, but for right now this is whats on the car.

I meant i'm not a fan of chrome, period. OR steel wheels :-p

Those mags are ok... Would look ok painted black maybe, but aren't that great. There are a couple other wheels i'd go with before those.

But don't worry about how the car will look, no matter what happens I wont let it look like crap... I do have an Art/Design degree after all ;)

I meant i'm not a fan of chrome, period. OR steel wheels :-p

Those mags are ok... Would look ok painted black maybe, but aren't that great. There are a couple other wheels i'd go with before those.

But don't worry about how the car will look, no matter what happens I wont let it look like crap... I do have an Art/Design degree after all ;)

OOOOwwww ok. Now i understand. Yea im not a fan of steel wheels either. My 83 had steel wheels and they looked terrible. So now i have period alloys.

I have this used cover from Charlie's:

Img1159.JPG

Img1160.JPG

Looks like the passenger side to me. :)

Like I said before,I'm positive I have one of those new,but not sure which side or how soon I'll get my hands on it again. But hopefully this is a slow meticulous restoration.:cool:

That side trim ....I have some pieces set aside for you. They are staight,crisp,and not dinged up at all.

More good news to follow.

Car looks VERY French oooo la la !!! But I agree,just get good looking 13" wheels. Those '70's Sport Mags would be pretty cool. How about Photoshop a set of those on so we can see?

I can't say this enough,sure it's your car to do as you see fit. But it's now very much part of a community with the majority of the members interested in you keeping it as close to stock as possible.Again,this is NOT the car you want to play games with.Its your choice,but I'm certainly not going to support you if I see you're making a joke out of it. Don't forget,I have two close friends here in CT who also have ff-1's

Glad you got it running,never had a doubt it'd start up reasonably easy.

There's NO REASON to be fearful of the 1100 or the 1300 despite the sloppy sleeves. Just don't overheat it,that's it.

See you guys soon.

Like I said before,I'm positive I have one of those new,but not sure which side or how soon I'll get my hands on it again. But hopefully this is a slow meticulous restoration.:cool:

That side trim ....I have some pieces set aside for you. They are staight,crisp,and not dinged up at all.

Car looks VERY French oooo la la !!! But I agree,just get good looking 13" wheels. Those '70's Sport Mags would be pretty cool. How about Photoshop a set of those on so we can see?

There's NO REASON to be fearful of the 1100 or the 1300 despite the sloppy sleeves. Just don't overheat it,that's it.

Its going to take at least a year for the major work to be completed with this car, its definatly a longer-term project. I plan on either restoring (or replacing with NOS parts) every component on the car as best as possible. I may have to have some custom compents made like bushings or some interior parts, but so far from what I see other than the body it looks promising.

If you have that last bit of trim that would be awesome. I still need to remove it to repair the rust around the small bolt holes on there...

Ya, I do like this 1100 motor... But I would like to get ~100hp via the easiest route possible, enough to make it freeway useable around these parts for driving to and from meets and such.

As for a photochop with some mag-like wheels, I can do you one better... Someone over on NASIOC found these pics, I think you guys will enjoy them!

03.jpg

07.jpg

05.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

I like the FF1 sport, shame i can not see the phone number of the dealer who has the car, i am stil looking, only thing missing from the car i can see is the black trim panel that fits between the tail lights and number plate. Also it had a recent respray hope it isnt hiding to many evils.

Thierry.

PS you know where i can get a better res picture which show the dealer and phone number

I like the FF1 sport, shame i can not see the phone number of the dealer who has the car, i am stil looking, only thing missing from the car i can see is the black trim panel that fits between the tail lights and number plate. Also it had a recent respray hope it isnt hiding to many evils.

Thierry.

PS you know where i can get a better res picture which show the dealer and phone number

Don't know anything about that car other than the pictures posted, they were found via internet searches aparently...

Doing the right-click trick, I see they are posted from this website: www.nostalgiccar.com

But its all in Japanese... Can't help you there :(

Doesnt have to be 100hp, but I can see at least a few different directions to go, including just using a 1300 engine since that starts out at 80hp...

I might just try and see what I can do with the 1100 to see what happens... I could even re-use most of any of the upgrades I would do for this motor for any other early-gen EA motor (carb, distributor, ignition, etc.) and maybe try a custom delta cam grind, perhaps some extra head porting to go with it.

Honestly, i'm used to spending $$$$ in order to get just a tiny bit of power out of the n/a EJ motors in the two Imprezas i've had, while for these EA motors just a couple relativly cheap modifications can really make a big improvement. Even just going to the 1300 from the 1100 is a big bump from ~65hp to 80hp.

Plus, all the work I did with my '78 has me intimitly aquanted with this engine configuration, so I've got a few ideas of what I want/need to do this time around...

But, engine work is not the first thing on my list :-p First comes repairing the body/body panels and restoring what compenents I have that are capable of being restored, THEN I need to start working on the details like what engine to go with...