Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alright I went to a friends house for the weekend and we deceded to drive her subaru and not mine its a 95 or 96 legacy L 2.2 automatic. Sometimes the car will start fine and sometimes it won't start at all. If you put the key in and turn it to start the car nothing will happen... if you continue to hold the key eventualy it will start, but there is this huge delay between turning the key and the car starting. any Ideas:-\

[...]If you put the key in and turn it to start the car nothing will happen [...] any Ideas:-\

It depends what you mean by "nothing will happen":

1) Absolutely nothing, not even a sound is heard.

2) A single click is heard, but there's no cranking of the engine.

3) Multiple clicks are heard, but there's no cranking of the engine.

4) The engine cranks, but it doesn't fire.

Which best describes the symptom?

The contacts tend to pit with use. They don't really corrode, but the pitting removes material from the contacts until eventually they don't make contact anymore. Right, the tapping is just an emergency solution; eventually they would pit enough that it won't work at all. Because we're talking about like I don't know what, 100 amps or more going through those contacts, it's rough on the make and break.

I haven't done this job, yet. From other posts I've seen it is not overly difficult. One of the bolts on the start can be a little tricky. The plunger and some other starter parts should be checked as well.

The contacts are like $5-$10; reman starter could be a few hundred. The only reman starter I would consider is a Subaru OEM reman from Subaru. I have had baaaddd results, like repeated repeated failures in the past with rebuilt stuff from the autoparts stores. Ok so maybe they gave you a 'lifetime' warranty but it's still your labor to R&R the thing each time, and with a starter you can be stranded. Often with remans only the part that went bad is replaced and the rest of the thing isn't touched.

thanks guys i'll take a look at it next time in with her.. but she hates to have me work on her car since it takes time away from hanging out:cool:

funny i searched starter contacts and another post i made about a similar problem but on a differn't car.. that other car eded up needing a starter

If you can respond to OB99W's questions we might be able to narrow down the possibilities.

#1. turn the key and nothing happens lights radio work but the starter dosn't work.. has you continue to hold the key for a few seconds sometimes more the starter will kick on. and it will start just fine.

Your description could indicate a resistive connection that improves as current flows through it, finally passing enough current to do the job.

If you're not hearing even a single click, it would appear that the starter solenoid isn't getting energized. I'd begin by verifying that the connection to the solenoid is good (not corroded). You could then check for voltage at the solenoid connection by wiring a 12 volt test lamp from that point to ground; if the lamp doesn't light, trace back from there to the ignition switch. If the lamp lights, the solenoid itself is suspect.

However, if the solenoid is heard to energize (click) when the key is turned, then worn starter contacts previously mentioned are a possible cause.