Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Zoiks rogue alternator spotted '96 Legacy

Doing a bunch of work on my '96 2.2L Legacy brighton wagon....and I noticed a squeaky noise when I accidentally bumped/rotated the alternator pulley.

So I checked it out some more....rotating it often results in a squeak sound...and the pulley does not turn evenly, it vibrates in the axial direction. Then I checked the bearings.....a small but noticeable amount of freeplay.

So I figure why would a soob alternator do this? I think this vehicle had the recall for the brush at high rpm or whatever that was. Then I spot the label in the pic below on the bottom this alternator, so I peel it off to read it. What should I do about this issue?! shudder1.gif

rogue1.jpg

Well, I guess that you could call a Subie dealer, and tell your story to them, and maybe get a freeby alternator out of the deal.

However, let's face it, your alternator is 11 years old, and almost all alternators that old have failed by now. If it were me, I wouldn't feel bad about having to pay for a new one. It is a pretty simple do it yourself job, if you are handy with a wrench.

Sorry here's a bigger pic of the label. I was just freaked out because I assumed I had an oem alternator, then spotted this label out of site on the bottom......I was just in a little bit of shock. I ordered an oem reman because the bearings seem loose and squeaky on this one. This napa alternator must've been put in shortly before I got the vehicle, since I did get it summer of '04...

rogue2.jpg

I would go with an OE used unit before an aftermarket. I used to run an Advance Auto and I can't tell you how many Suby alts. we would get back for warranty claims. Now I work at an all Suby shop and we have had two Outbacks this past year with aftermarket remans that shot all the way to 22-24 Volts and fried speedo clusters, ABS module, ECU, battery, airbag module and more.

Now I work at an all Suby shop and we have had two Outbacks this past year with aftermarket remans that shot all the way to 22-24 Volts and fried speedo clusters, ABS module, ECU, battery, airbag module and more.

Thank you Mexico.